Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Nourishment for the Mind

After I finished the Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell last December, I did my best to keep up with the reading, which is one of my resolutions for 2010. 

I think I didn't do too bad on this one. The year is almost up and here is the tally.









I have seen this book in the stores umpteen times before giving in to curiosity a few months ago. Even before I picked up the book, I have read reviews on Amazon and several other blogs which raved non-stop about how brilliant the book is. But I beg to differ. 

While the book provides a few great ideas, I think it is highly overrated. It clearly is a book aimed at the mass market, trying to please as many parents and educators as possible. Most of the stuff mentioned in the book is plain common sense and it is obvious that the book targets readers who are seeking assurances from these so-called experts/gurus that it is fine if parents are not doing "much" with their preschoolers. 

The authors' arguments on the 'critical period' theory is a little too weak for my liking and throughout the book, there are many examples of confusing stances. If parents are not sculptors of their children's brains (this must offer much relief to those who feel guilty), and critical period is a myth so there is no need to agonize over what inputs to provide because it will not make much difference and that the millions of years of evolution have taken care of brain development for us and pretty much coded the results, then what is left for parents? Hmm... we better pray hard that our descendants have some good genes, AND be content no matter how our kids turned out in future!

I also wonder where the authors gathered some of their assumptions from. Who in the right mind will assume that 'all has to be learned in the first 3 years'? How many parents truly act on the extreme and untrue beliefs that 'a child's learning ability is crippled after 3' or that 'if parents fail to provide the best possible start, they will forever damage their children's intellectual growth'? All these assumptions of 'the other parents' are so extreme. Anyway... enough said. 


Flowers for Algernon 


As I mentioned recently, this book has a tremendous effect on me. This, I would highly recommend. 




This book is interesting and offers a lot of insights on the various aspects of emotional intelligence though the use of the term EQ is dubious. 

What is also worth noting is, unlike the authors of Einstein Never Used Flash Cards who come across as typical American parents whom Shapiro refers to as too indulgent and accommodating, Shapiro advocates a much stricter parenting style to raise a child with high EQ. Some of his recommendations may even be considered as a little harsh and absurd to the modern and well-read parents, such as using shame and guilt to teach moral values. 




Lastly, I am halfway through this one, which I am trying to finish by today. This topic has been on my mind in the past year, so it is a timely read especially since M will enter Primary school next month. I don't want to be an overly protective parent, nor do I want my boys to simply react to bullying situations when they arise. So I am on the lookout for advices that empowers me and my kids, providing us with strategies to pre-empt and deal with the bullying situations when they arise in effective ways that take into consideration my kids' emotions.  More about this later.





3 comments:

Kei said...

I read Einstein never used flash cards and was disappointed. Overall, I find it very disorganised and badly structured. Sometimes, I don't even know what's the authors' point. And ya, in some instances, it seems even self contradictory. And yes again, a lot of it is common sense. Heh. I haven't read any of the books you mentioned here. Thanks for the recommendation. Now, hubby and I are hooked on books on health and nutrition and how to get the most out of food.

DG said...

Hi Kei, I know what you mean about the book. It is refreshing to come across people like yourself who have specific views after reading such books. :>

Health and nutrition is another fascinating area. I used to read up a lot when kids were smaller. Would love some recommendations if you have any.

Kei said...

We're reading The Good Body Guide by Dr Carole Hungerford now. It's good. Not like the average health and nutrition guide book. It tells you how the medical industry is like, it's politics and how some medicine is misused etc. A lot of good and practical advice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...