Friday, October 31, 2008

Chicken Fingers

I made a quick batch of these Chicken Fingers to include in Marcus' bento this week. It is one of those really quick and easy meat dish I make on days I want to add some meat protein and don't have much time for chopping and messing around in the kitchen with multiple ingredients. 

There are so many ways to make this and I often vary the ingredients here and there, or at least the marinade, depending on what I want to serve it with. So here, I shall include just the recipe for the batch I made this week since this will suffice as the basic recipe to rely on.

Ingredients:
6 strips of chicken fillet
2 tablespoons of teriyaki sauce 
1 tablespoons of sesame oil 
corn flour for coating 
oil for shallow frying

Preparation:
1. Marinade chicken fillet with teriyaki sauce and sesame oil. Leave in fridge for at least 30 min. 
2. Coat with corn flour and shake off excess before shallow frying for a few minutes on each side. 

Total preparation and cooking time: 40 min (including 30 min for the meat to sit in the fridge).

I used chicken fillet to save the need for slicing and cutting the chicken. But chicken breast will work just as well if you want to cut into chunks and make into nuggets. I do that too. You can use breadcrumbs or plain flour instead of the corn flour; vary the marinade by excluding sesame oil or add in chopped red chili or chili sauce or black pepper to add spiciness etc etc.. You can serve it on its own or with ketchup or even fancy dips, but if so, adjust the marinade since obviously a teriyaki/sesame oil marinade won't complement certain types of dips. I personally prefer eating it on its own or just some sweet Thai chili sauce.

This is a sure crowd pleaser. It is in my home and with my friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try this variation - my bf and I make it all the time and I believe kids will love it too.
Coat thin slices/strips of chicken breast meat (pre-marinated in black pepper, salt, herbs seasoning) in beaten egg, coat with cream cracker crumbs and pan fry in olive oil till golden brown.

Mix Jap mayo with honey and dip crispy chicken pieces into it.

Enjoy!

DG said...

Thanks for your suggestion, Andrea. I often coat with cream cracker crumbs if I use pork. No particular reason, but just out of habit as I am so used to my mum's tonkatsu (see my previous recipe on tonkatsu, I explained there) so I just made it the same way.

But mixing Jap mayo with honey is new to me. I shall try that next time. :) My kids are still not used to black pepper and herb seasoning, so I tend to season the meat differently if they are eating them. But I love herbs seasoning myself.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...