Saturday, November 1, 2008

An ugly finger

I haven't thought of blogging about this earlier as I just didn't think that it is any serious and also, I sort of brushed it off as one of those childhood incidents that would happen commonly in households when there are 2 or more young boys. 

Well, over a week ago, Chipsy bit M on his ring finger, just near to the nail during one of their pretend playing. I was cooking lunch and heard M complained loudly that the baby monster just bit him on the finger. I briefly scolded Chipsy and consoled M quickly and returned to getting lunch ready. That complaint was swiftly forgotten throughout the busy day. 

M didn't complained of any pain till the next morning when I was getting him ready for school. I was really horrified to see a badly swollen finger, a tiny hole near the nail area and what looked like pus underneath!! 

We were already late for school and without a proper first aid box at home, all I had was Dettol anti-septic cream which I used to apply on the area and placed a plaster over before rushing him to school. I informed the principal and requested that she look at it, which she did and cleaned it too. It looked better after school when I picked him up and since he said it wasn't painful anymore, I left it as it was, thinking and hoping that it will recover soon. 

It didn't. I just kept putting the same cream everyday and changing the plaster, still thinking that it will get better. My mum came for a quick visit one day, looked at it and told me it is a small matter and will get well in two days. I took comfort in her advice and got on with the busy days since M said it wasn't painful anymore. Damned! I feel guilty now of my negligence. I should have taken him to the doctor the day I saw the swell. 

Over the next few days, it looked somewhat dried up but yet lots of small pieces of skin grew around it. I kept thinking the 'old' skin will peel/fall off by itself and the new skin will grow. I couldn't see any hole anymore and there wasn't any pus, but I didn't understand why the finger looked a slightly darker shade! 

Anyway, I took him to the GP tonight and he is now put on antibiotics and given an anti-bacterial cream to apply. If I had waited longer, and the infection got worse, he might even need a surgery! 

On hindsight, I just feel totally awful now about the whole incident and how I have handled it. E shocked me so much when he talked about the possibility of blood poisoning and how he may end up losing a finger because of this. Damned. How could I have totally overlooked the seriousness and possible consequences?! Though I must admit that it really didn't occur to me that he may lose his finger (though I am still not convinced) and I have no clue what blood poisoning is and what could have caused it. 

Well, let this be a lesson learnt. It is just that my poor boy has to pay for it by taking the yucky medicine. I bribed him with Oreo for each dosage he takes. So far, it works.

The injured part of the finger is really ugly now. I have yet to take any photo. 

4 comments:

Handydog said...

O dear, I didn't think it would be that bad too! Marcus is so brave, maybe if he did cry more of the pain, you probably send him to A&E immediately...for me, no cry means nothing serious. Good reminder to me, not to take health matter lightly.

DG said...

Exactly! If he whines or complains of pain, I surely would have taken him to doctor straightaway. But he is really brave and didn't shed a tear! He even let his classmate peel the skin off his finger last Friday! I was horrified to see it 'clean' of all the little pieces of skin after school.

nomadic notions said...

It is really brave of him to be so calm throughout the whole event. A very clear reminder to everyone...

Handydog said...

Hope it gets well real soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...