Monday, April 18, 2011

Stories that Moved My Kids

I first heard of The Giving Tree a few years ago, but had never seen it around in bookshops or libraries until late last year. 

After reading the Chinese version for the first time at a National Library branch, I fell in love with the story. It touched me on more levels than I thought a simple book like this could do. There was a period when Chip couldn't get enough of this story too. I must have read the borrowed book for over 50 times in the 3 weeks period. :> 

But I still couldn't decide which version to buy until I chanced upon the English one in Kinokuniya, which I find pales in comparison. Needless to say, I ordered the Chinese book and waited eagerly for its arrival.



This other book (picture below) was also originally written in another language and translated to Chinese. 

M teared up when I read this for the first time. He examined the pictures closely and reflected on the story. A simple story, yet very well-written.




Now I own them both. These are definitely keepers. :> 

I would love to read them to my grandkids one day. 






10 comments:

Precious Memories said...

Hi Shirley,

I have both books too. Marcus is indeed a sentimental boy. So far, no book can make Sarah tear.

By the way, Nigel misses your class. He kept saying lapbook class, lapbook class.

Keep well.

DG said...

Hi LL, M is definitely more sentimental, empathic and sensitive than a typical child his age. He also gets emotional just listening to sad stories that I tell or from watching documentaries sometimes.

Aww.. thanks for sharing what Nigel feels. It's a pity I can't slot him into the morning class. Do use the tips you've picked up from the class and continue with him at home though. You take care too! :>

Karmeleon said...

Many of the good Chinese books are translated ones. I found many in the library and for some, we even managed to borrow the whole series. Yeah, some are keepers.

Oh, and yes, some are really much more exciting to read in Chinese! Like the Frog & Toad series by Arnold Lobel.

DG said...

I usually don't have the time nor patience to plough through the messy Chinese collection in the NLB branch I visit. So we rarely come across good Chinese books. Actually I have not read any of Arnold Lobel's books before. Shall keep a lookout for it. Thanks for recommendation!

Karmeleon said...

I've taken some photos of the books before. It's just under NLB's JP section "LOB" (name of author). All translated stories are organised by author's alphabetical initials.

Ok... here goes - i found the link...the photos are on my blog:
http://karmeleon.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-reading.html

karmeleon.blogspot.com/2011/03/more-reading.html

The stories are really funny, and not very difficult to go through.

DG said...

Thanks for sharing the links. Had a look at your post. We have a few of the Kipper stories in English but my boys aren't keen. I find them slow and boring too. Will look out for the translated Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel at my next visit. I like wordier series. :>

Karmeleon said...

I borrowed the kipper books in both English & Chinese. He preferred the Chinese. The storyline again, seems more interesting after translators went thru' them! We've read through the whole series already. There was even one elusive copy that was only available from the library at NEX. haha. Thanks to online services!

applegreen said...

Hi Shirley

I recently chanced upon your blog and I must say I am impressed with your determination and passion in homeschooling your lovely boys!

If only I read your blogs earlier, that may have given me inspiration on how to better spend my time with my girls.

btw, i share your sentiments on the Chinese version of The Giving Tree. We borrowed it from the NLB and my 3 yo (at the time of reading, she's four now) somehow had a special feelings towards that book. She even hugged it. It was the first time she ever showed such affection to a book.

We tried looking for the chinese version but could only find the eng one. As you said, the eng one is no match. Please kindly share which website you bought the chinese version. Thanks so much!

DG said...

Hi applegreen, thanks for your encouraging words.

http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=20008910&ref=search-0-mix

Do check out this link.

applegreen said...

Thanks, Shirley!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...