Sunday, April 10, 2011

His Homemade Books (by 4-year-old)

These two books 'The Pig and Squids' and 'Sea Life' are authored and illustrated entirely by Chipsy. He came up with the big ideas and went ahead to make them last week.


The only help he received was in the stapling of the papers and spelling of some words. As I was coaching M on something else at that time, I didn't even check on his work-in-progress until they were completed. I'm impressed with the complete sentences on most pages and how he managed to spell so many sight words himself. I decided not to correct his grammar at this point, considering that he managed to get quite a bit right by himself. 

Oh, the next day, I nudged him to color his drawings to make the book more colourful. Otherwise he was happy to just leave them black and white, just like his brother would do. :) 

Sea Life by Pig


The jellyfish has tentacles and it can sting you. 
The starfish has arms and bumps.


The octopus has tentacles. 
A blue whale has flippers and a big tail. (He insisted on writing the words in a clockwise direction and confined them to the tiny bubble-size space)


The sea anemone could sting you. 
The crab can pinch you with its pincers and it has eight legs.


The Pig and the Squids by Pig












In terms of progress, my 4-year-old has come a long way. Compared to the books he made between last Oct and December, there are obvious improvements in these recent ones. 

Like I always say, a few months is a long period of time for a preschooler. With the right methods, some perseverance and our loving attention, we can guide our child to progress far.



4 comments:

Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

Very nice! I'll be so thrilled if my daughter ever does this someday. I'm sure you'll be keeping all your kids' books!

DG said...

Thanks! I am sure your gal will make something like this one day. :> Perhaps you don't have to wait long now.

We keep every book that my boys made. One day, they may go into the treasure box that I plan to leave behind for them.

Why Not said...

He is amazing! You are a great mom, Shirley. I can only wish I am half of you. I re-started lapbooking again with the kids recently, but Jamie's short attention span really tires me out. But we're not giving up... will try to squeeze in whatever we can do in that little time I have in between baby Alex and chores and what have we...

Hope you are enjoying the pregnancy so far! :-)

DG said...

Thanks Jayne. Keep persevering with Jamie and his attention span will improve over time. :> I'm grateful that my pregnancy so far has been easy and smooth-sailing. Thanks for asking!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...