Friday, April 8, 2011

Chipsy's Reading Progress

Finally, I remember to take videos of him reading. Here's my 4-year-old reading last week.


We have this Grouchy Ladybug book for many years, but N has never been fond of it. Recently, I took it out from our shelves and just left it lying around in the living room to increase its visibility. That is the problem of having too many books. Some books are forgotten. He picked it up, browsed and asked to be read to. I probably read it cover-to-cover twice at bedtime reading. It is now an easy book for him at his current reading level. 


He loves the Jungle Book DVD, so he is familiar with the story. When he started reading rather fluently last year, he attempted to read this book himself though he couldn't finish the whole book at one sitting. I realize reading this book now is becoming quite a breeze for him, though we haven't read it for a few months. 



I got this Book 9a a while ago after browsing through the story in the bookshop, but I only took it out very recently to gauge his reading level. I haven't read the book to him. Here he was trying to read these pages for the first time.



The pages are wordy but the language is rather simple in my opinion compared to the others that he reads. There are no difficult vocabulary or complicated sentence structures and phrases in the book, even at this level.

Overall, I am very pleased with his reading progress. More importantly, he comprehends what he reads and is able to reflect on the stories and discuss the themes and issues raised in the books at a much deeper level. 

While we will continue to read a wide range of books, we've also started reading Roald Dahl. Maybe I'll upload more videos in a few weeks. 


More updates coming on our other aspects of homeschooling .....  


8 comments:

Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

He reads really well! I'm impressed too with his pronunciation and intonations. I wouldn't have guessed he's only 4!

DG said...

Thanks Corsage! You are fast! :>

Alice Law said...

He is good, he taught him well! When did he actually start reading? Did he start with phonics or by recognizing words?

Have a great weekend!

DG said...

Alice, he recognized quite a lot of words before he was 3, but I won't count that as reading. He started reading properly (that is, able to read sentences and short passages) when he was about 3 1/2 yrs old.

I explained my coaching method before in the comment page of a previous post. http://domesticgoddess-ourworldmyworld.blogspot.com/2010/07/35-years-old-chipsy-reads-color-of-his.html

and also several other homeschooling posts in the blog.

Basically, I don't teach my kids phonics. I believe strongly in the merits of the whole word approach which I combine with the transdisciplinary thematic method that I employ in my lapbooking classes.

Li-ling said...

Wow! Well done Chipsy. Very impressive reading.
Oh and DomesticGoddess, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award :)
http://www.thegeorgous.com/2011/04/07/liebster-award/

DG said...

Thanks Li-Ling. Will pop over shortly. :>

The Beauties In Our Lives said...

He reads so well - and his pronunciation is sterling for his age! I am impressed that he is reading the 9th series of Peter and Jane! Annette is still hovering at the 4th series :) Well done!

DG said...

Thanks Linette! I am very happy with his pronounciation and intonations. For I think it is easy to be able to recognise words but much harder to read fluently and pronounce well, esp this age.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...