Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Baby #3: The Joy of Choosing Names

Two weeks ago, I started discussing names for Baby with my boys. It quickly turned into a passionate brainstorming session. 

The kids suggested some crazy, hilarious names, but the ones that took the cake came from my 4-year-old. Every few seconds, he went ... 

How about Lava Boy? 

Oh what about Lightning Boy? 

Umm.. we can call baby Tsunami Boy?  

E and I laughed so hard at all his suggestions. 

At the end of the few minutes, we had an incredibly long list of names that can at best be passed off as nicknames. One of M's suggestions was 'Sexy' regardless of Baby's gender. Hmm....

E is now rooting for 'Lightning Boy'. Imagine introducing my newborn baby to my girlfriends..... 

Hey ladies, I'm so pleased to introduce to you my gorgeous baby #3. Here's Lightning Boy! 

YEAH right!!!!    *mega sarcastic tone here in case you can't spot it*


~~~

Years before I was even married, I already had two long lists of names. One containing all my favourite names for my unborn son(s) and another for my future daughter(s).

So when I was expecting my first child, I thought picking names would be one of the easiest tasks to get done since I already had a 'short' list. I was wrong.

As it turned out, E has such different opinions of what made a wonderful name that he shot down every name I had on my lists faster than I could scream any protests. 

Having lived in Europe for most part of his life, many names that are deemed interesting and lovely to me carried negative connotations to him. Or he would associate them with unpleasant adjectives/traits. 

The ones that he loves are just so impossible for me to even contemplate unless I plan to make a laughing stock out of my children. The disagreements continued for months. 

When we were expecting #1, we came to a mutually agreed shortlist of only two names (Marcus and Oliver) by the time I was 5 months pregnant. That was after I shot down all his wacky suggestions such as Fox, Neptune, Eagle and Hawk. *roll eyes* After that, no other names found its way to the consideration list. The day #1 was born, I looked at him and decided to name him Marcus. I don't know why, but it just felt right. 

With the second pregnancy, I woke up one day convinced that if #2 is a boy, I liked him to be Ethan. E disagreed and reminded me of the numerous Ethans we will meet in the near future because of the Mission Impossible movie (Tom Cruise played the Ethan character). Yah, he was so right! 

After that, we were so busy being parents that we didn't think of another name till I had about 3 months left to my EDD. Already clear of the gender, we went straight to make a list of boys' names. Oliver wasn't even considered this time. A week after my EDD (Chip was born 10 days past the EDD), we were still toggling between Jason, Lucas and Nicholas. The name was finalized a night before I went into labour. 

For this pregnancy, I already have a favourite name for boy and another for girl long before we even planned to add to the brood. E doesn't have any strong opinions for them, so for now, they are the only names we have. Everyone in the family has been referring to the baby as Baby O since the day I found out of his/her existence in January.

But recently, I decided that the boy's name is probably a poor choice because it could be pronounced differently by cheeky kids and hence making the child a target for potential nasty teases. Doh.....  

Now I am just waiting for inspiration to knock. Maybe I don't even need a boy's name after all. Shall find out real soon! 



8 comments:

Dominique @Dominique's Desk said...

Hope that you will be able to use a girls name that you like this time. We too had a 'short' list of boys/girls name before #1 came alone.. all under R.. Hb left the selection of English names to me while he chose the Chinese one.

DG said...

Oh I can't agree to the arrangement in our case, otherwise E will be the one picking English names and I choose the Chinese ones. My boys would have been named Neptune and Fox then. LOL!

To be safe, I must have a say in both English and Chinese names since *I* carry the child. :D

Kiasu Mom said...

Congrats again! When I got pregnant I have this strong instinct right from the start that my baby will be called X or Y. For both my pregnancies, I was right. Ie I knew the baby's gender even before the doctor confirmed it. So do you have any instinct whether it would be a girl or a boy :-)?

DG said...

hi kiasumom, thanks! Actually I never had any instincts about the gender of all my babies. Some say the shape of the bump and how high/low it sits relative to the navel are clues to the gender. But as of now, my current bump looks just like the previous two. Or it could just be my body shape! My OB has hinted something at our last scan, but he wasn't sure either. :>

Kiasu Mom said...

When I was carrying my girl, my grandma who is always right at guessing baby's gender by looking at the tummy said it is a boy cause my tummy was pointy and small and I look the same. But it was a girl. Then when I carried my boy she didnt dare to guess anymore.. hahaha

DG said...

Hahaha! I suspect a lot of those guesses are really just guesses. :>

tona-mama said...

Hey Supermum! Congrats!!

Actually I had a feeling it is going to be Baby O!

Cos I figured since #1 is M and #2 is N, then #3 sure got to be O?

Hmm... I maybe wrong! Lol! In fact, I even thot of a girl/boy's name for the letter O which I 'felt' u may use?

Sorry, sometimes I can get a little crazy! But just so so happy for u and can feel the excitement in your household as u welcome ur new baby!

God Bless!

DG said...

Thanks Tona-mama, your comment always makes me smile. Great way to start my day! :>

Actually the 'M' and 'N' for #1 and #2 respectively was pure coincidence, so we haven't decided whether to continue with #3 being 'O'. Makes me wonder what names you have guessed. Hmm.... :>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...