Monday, December 13, 2010

When Boys Rule

Back in 2005, at my niece's full-month celebration, I joined a bunch of silly gals who were squealing with excitement over some "predictions". 

I have heard them all before and was quick to dismiss them as old wives' tales. Tempting as it may be, I generally dislike fortune-telling activities because I believe in self-fulfilling prophecy. Expect is and you will get it - it is as simple as that!

But this time round, I decided to give it a try, perhaps because everyone looked like they were having so much fun. 

There was a little ritual involved. First, tie a red thread to a wedding ring. Second, have a married woman hold the red thread and dangle the ring just above my right palm. Third, watch for any swinging or spinning movements of the thread/ring. 

Every woman in the room, married or single, with child or childless, tried this little ritual. The person who performed this little ritual that day didn't know everyone, so she couldn't have known the facts to begin with. 

Yet, the oddest thing was, all the mothers in the room were impressed with their sets of "predictions", citing them to be incredibly accurate! Be it the number of children they have/will have or even details like the kids' gender in the correct order.

Now, that got me more interested than I would admit. 

I have always wanted 3 kids. At that time, my first born was only a few months old. I was sure my ring would spin/swing 3 times since I have never once questioned my fertility. My curiosity was piqued by the hype and excitement in the room, so though I didn't really care about the gender of the kids, I figured participating in a little superstitious silliness would be harmless anyway.  

The first time the ring moved, it indicated "a boy". (I can't remember which movement should symbolize a boy). 

I thought, hmm... that was probably easy. She (the lady performing the ritual) may have seen me with my baby boy. 

The second round, it was "a boy" again. I remember thinking "wow... two boys! How cool! I shall be the queen in the house, adored by my three boys till my #3 comes along".

Then I was all eager for the third round and hoping secretly that it would predict "a girl". Over 8 pairs of eyes watched the ring and after about a full minute, it was still nothing. Neither the ring nor the thread made the slightest movement!

I was surprised. Actually that was an understatement. Perhaps the words "shocked" and "dumbfounded" would be more appropriate. 

There must be a mistake somewhere. I have always wanted 3 kids. So where is the third one? 

I was told there would only be two boys. 

My mum, sister and best friend quickly took me to one side and consoled me with the most gentle words. They started saying things like "don't trust all this rubbish" and "it's only a for fun".... etc.... They were being kind, but it was ironic too, for they were the ones who were such believers at first. 

The following year, I had my second boy. After a tough labour and a battle with postpartum depression, I decided even before Chipsy turned one that I didn't want to ever return to a delivery ward. 

It has been a few years of living in a household where boys rule. 



Wrestling. Monkeying around. Rough play. Anything but quiet. 

But there were lots of sweet and lovely moments too. 




My boys are beautiful and wonderful and can be such a delight. 

But for a while now, there is a part in me that has been yearning for a little more balance. Some ying to balance the overpowering yang

Some days, I feel contented with just my two boys. A little voice would say 'they will be enough. I can shower them with all my love and give them my very best'. 

But there are also days when I would chance upon the most charming little angels in parks or malls and I found myself daydreaming thoughts like "... maybe if I had a little girl, she would look like this....or behave like this... and maybe she will be so close to me when she grew up ... I will teach her this and show her that...  " etc etc...

Perhaps the other reason for wanting a girl is to cast a safety net for myself. 

After all, if I had a girl, it is of higher likelihood that she would be on my side when the boys "gang" up with daddy, like how Marcus put it across a few days ago when he said "Nicholas and I are on daddy's side and Mummy is alone". Ok, I am taking that statement out of context now, but it struck me hard when he uttered it, albeit innocently.

Such is life, I know. We can't have everything we want. And like what sensible adults should do, I count my blessings and try not to lament what is lacking. 

But this is the season for making wishes, isn't it? Maybe I should write to Father Christmas like what my 3 boys have done and see what the old Santa can bring. :>





9 comments:

Wendy (Amanda's Mummy) said...

Well, for my case, I am supposed to have a girl, boy and follow by another girl. But now my second baby will be a girl as well, so.....

May your wishes come true if you do make the wish. :)

DG said...

Thanks Amanda. Now maybe I can be more hopeful... :>

Dominique said...

I haven't tried that Ring on a string trick but my in house fortune teller has always been telling me that he will have a daughter. We never actually decided on the number of kids we will be having but with this #3 I could sense that it would be a girl and started buying baby girl clothes 1yr before her birth.

DG said...

Wow it is amazing that you can sense that your #3 would be a girl! Aww.. I want to go shopping for gals' clothes too. It is so much more fun (and more expensive) than buying for boys.

Sunflower said...

Go for it and try. It is so much interesting to shop for girls' clothing.

Do you read there are certain food thatvwill give you girls. And also try to have intercourse at some timing for girls too.

I would say it is much easier to try for girl but then I guess your case, the Y is dominating,

No harm go for it, if you don't get it, you will be a great mum for 3 boys! But then if a girl, I think you will have problem to control yourself to buy stuff for her because she is so beautiful!!!

Anonymous said...

In the first place, are you trying for a baby? If so, maybe your wish will be fulfilled. :)

K said...

I have read an article in the papers that some people are predisposed to have boys. Can't remember the details. My friend's aunt wanted a girl very much and ended up with 5 boys. Ha. Just saying.

DG said...

Sunflower, I have read articles before about different methods that people used to improve chances of conceiving girls (or boys) but I have never paid attention to them before because back then, the gender didn't matter to me. Maybe I will now if we decide to try for a girl. Like you said, if #3 turned out to be a boy, I shall just be a good mum to 3 boys and be content with admiring others' beautiful girls, like your gorgeous Yvette. :>


K, hmm.. I am not sure about one's predisposition to conceive a certain gender of babies. But I won't be surprised if it has scientific proof to such theory.
I definitely won't try for 5 times! I know someone who wanted a girl and ended up with 5 boys and finally 1 girl for the last child.

Kai Ching said...

Wow it is good to know that you are considering #3! After 2 csection and 1 GD, I am pretty certain I don't want to return to the delivery ward as well, but I do at some point wish for another girl too... :):)

When I was trying for my #2, I read extensively about how to time to get a girl. It worked for me! After my pregnancy, I helped 3 friends time to get a boy and another 2 more to get a girl and it worked for them as well! If you are interested, we can meet up to chat over this gender choosing thingy... :) :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...