Monday, November 29, 2010

Tricking the Tooth Fairy

When Marcus remarked a few weeks ago that one of his front teeth was wobbly, I tried to respond positively and factually and sharing my experience in some comical ways that made him laugh. 

I didn't want to alarm him or cause any anxiety as he expects more teeth to fall out. 

Though I had briefly talked to the boys about it when they asked about the gaps they noticed in their friends' teeth, I had not given the whole milk-teeth-replaced-with-adult-teeth experiences much thought until then. 

My own experience was the only one I knew and oddly enough, I had never compared notes with classmates or adult friends. The Tooth Fairy legend was an alien concept to me until about 2 years ago.

My mum used to instruct my siblings and me to throw our milk teeth out of the window towards the sky if they came from our lower jaw and under our beds if the teeth were from our upper jaw. 

Like good daughters should, I did as I was told, with the hope that my new teeth will grow out straight. There was no reason to doubt mum's wisdom since everyone in the family has straight teeth. *big smile* 

E, on the other hand, had a very different experience.

So when the little boy told his daddy about his wobbly tooth a few weeks ago, his dad spoke of the visits from the Tooth Fairy, who would exchange each tooth placed under the pillow with a gold coin. 

Last Friday, while nibbling rice cakes, the wobbly tooth finally fell out. It was a shame I wasn't there to watch his facial expressions. He was calm when he brought it to me a few minutes later, simply whispering "Mummy, my tooth dropped out."

Wah! The first milk tooth in the hand!!!!  

Short of a better place to save the little piece, I resorted to leaving it in a clean mini ziplock bag, so that the boy could show it to daddy. I forgot about it soon after.

That night, E got Marcus to place the tooth under his pillow, just as planned. 

When morning came, E enthusiastically (he was such a good actor! :P) went to Marcus "Hey, check under your pillow. Did the Tooth Fairy come?"

Marcus lifted his pillow and there it was a shiny gold coin. He appeared a little puzzled but it didn't last more than a few seconds. 

"Yeah, I heard footsteps in the middle of the night and I could feel someone lifting my pillow. I think it was daddy. He placed the one dollar coin under my pillow. He is the Tooth Fairy."

Hahaha!  I laughed so hard, partly because I wasn't aware of their plan to place the tooth under the pillow and I thought it was so comical to exchange a tooth for a coin. But what Marcus said was even funnier. (It is like catching Santa Claus red-handed with his beard down and realizing that Santa is just some guy we know.)

E fervently denied Marcus' theory and insisted it was the Tooth Fairy. 

Chipsy, who was in the room witnessing the whole conversation, was so convinced of the existence of the Tooth Fairy. A discussion ensued. 

Why does the Tooth Fairy take the tooth? 
Why does she give you a dollar for it? 
Is she buying it from you? 
How does she know which children have placed a tooth under their pillows? 
Will she know if we place a piece of seashell cut into the shape of a tooth under a pillow? 

This morning, Marcus came to me with a piece of seashell which he picked from the beach recently. 

"Mummy, the Tooth Fairy didn't give me a dollar coin. I placed this seashell under my pillow. I guess she could tell it is not a tooth even though it is the same color as my tooth."


Hahaha!  I love his innocence. 

Now my sensible little boy is reminding me to give him more milk and calcium-rich food everyday so that his new teeth will be strong. :>  






4 comments:

The Beauties In Our Lives said...

Marcus' reaction to his dad placing the coin was so hilarious! And I love how he used a seashell to "test" the Tooth Fairy - smart boy! :)

Handydog said...

Smart kids, cant be trick with a story. Happy collecion.

K said...

They are so cute. I love Chipsy's inquisitiveness. Very valid questions. You have really smart boys. It must be real fun to have them around.

DG said...

Thanks ladies. Now that his second tooth is wobbly, he is considering leaving a note for Tooth Fairy when the second tooth is out and ask for $2 instead! Haha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...