Thursday, June 11, 2009

2-Day Siblings Workshop

I just wrapped up another round of the June Holiday Siblings Workshop this week and it is certainly one of the highlights of my week.

In the company of three lovely mothers and six gorgeous children between the age of 2 and 6, it was a wonderful experience for me. Not only did I enjoy the coaching and sharing, I also feel inspired by the warm and positive feedback I received from the parents who are so generous with their kind words and encouragement.

The programme for the workshop is meant to be full of interactive fun, yet packed with plenty of learning opportunities as each child gets involved in varying levels of trans-disciplinary thematic activities, based on the selected literature. Some activities are meant for the children to work alone, while others require some co-operation between siblings. It was an intensive 4 hours, spread over 2 days. 

All these parents have two kids with an age gap of approx. 2 years. Not only am I impressed with their composure in handling their kids with such gentle firmness, I am also encouraged by the level of coaching these kids must receive at home. In just the few hours, the strengths and weaknesses of the kids are already apparent from the way each of them handled the different activities.

As a mother, I am always comforted when I learn of other parents' dedication and passion in their children's interests, especially in the areas of nurturing and education. As a teacher (if I may humbly refer to myself as one), I am always encouraged and inspired when I see how much a parent tries to teach and how much a child is eager to learn; it just brings out that maternal instincts in me to want to share and do more for each child I come across. 

Just remembering some scenes made me smile - the older siblings being totally attentive in the close-to-30 minutes intensive knowledge sharing segment with big curious eyes; the chirpy and adorable younger siblings coming up to me with all their cute answers to my questions; the way the kids participated eagerly in their craftwork etc... 
 
One of the parents wrote me a lovely email after the workshop and it warms my heart. Thank you, once again, if you are reading. This experience has exceeded my expectations and I like to thank the parents for being such positive and encouraging role models for their children. Well done, mummies! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...