Friday, March 27, 2009

Why Grape Seed Oil

I just responded to a reader's question on the use of grape seed oil. After typing it all out, I figured I will just post it here for everyone else's benefit. :) 

See here for the post and all related comments. 

~~ 

I use grape seed oil for many reasons but the most important is the first one.

1. high smoking point which makes it a healthier choice for stir-frying and deep frying though I don't do much of latter.

The high smoking point is very important as the smoke point of an oil is the amount of heat an oil can withstand before it begins to break down, forming free radicals in the process. And we know that free radicals are really bad stuff.

When heated, grapeseed oil neutralizes free radicals, allowing your food to retain its freshness and flavour when cooked.

2. It has a clean and light taste and sometimes described as 'nutty'. Though from experience, it depends on the brands you use.

3. it also has a 'neutral' taste unlike peanut, olive, sesame oil for instance, grape seed oil is also often used as an ingredient in salad dressings or as a base for infusing or flavoring with garlic, rosemary, or other herbs or spices.

4. And because it is so light, the food that is cooked with grapeseed oil just don't seem to be very oily. For instance when I make fried rice, noodles or stir-fried meat/vegetables, the cooked food just don't taste/look oily at all.

5. Also I realise that I can use much less of it to cook a dish compared to other oils that I used before. 

6. Lastly, grapeseeds have antioxidant properties. Though it is debatable how much made it to the oil and cooked food.

I have been using grapeseed oil for years, though I still use olive oil, extra virgin olive oil, canola and sesame oil for other purposes.

For the recipe of the chicken nuggets, you don't have to use grapeseed oil. Any other oils are fine but perhaps not as healthy as grapeseed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...