Monday, March 2, 2009

The Pieces He Plays

After his first piano performance piece - 'Westminster Chimes' in mid February, he learnt these 4 pieces in the subsequent lessons in February. He just had his 15th lesson.






The teacher is going very fast in each half hr lesson now. She goes through the notes on each piece just once with him and moves on to games and other activities, leaving the last 5 min for note taking and homework assignment.

I figured it might as well be so, since the progress has to be made at home and not in lessons.

I am pretty much the only one to coach him at home with his piano practice and also ensuring he gets his piano homework done. In addition to this, I also have to find time to work daily with him on our Chinese and homeschooling activities.

Some days, it can really be quite taxing trying to find that little window of opportunity when he is rested enough, keen enough and N is occupied enough, to work productively with him.

Right after school and lunch, I am left with a few hours before dinner preparation begins. Especially after factoring in time for our 3 to 5 times of play dates/outdoor play a week, and time for his own unstructured play with his toys, it can be quite a challenge on some days to find the 20 min here and 40 min there.

So that is what I do anyway. Sometimes, we squeeze in 15 min of piano practice and work 20 min on Chinese while N is napping. Then he goes off to play while I get some quick chores done. Then back to the desk for other activities which I had prepared in advance while I run off intermittently to get dinner preparation started or engage N in other activities simultaneously.

When both boys are reasonably cooperative, the results are great! But there are also days when they just have other ideas. Then we need to take a breather and do something else before I try to engage them again. If all fail, I just reorganise the agenda for the day and try again the next day!

5 comments:

shamill said...

hi can i hv the link to your yummilicious home make lasagne? coudn't find it in your previous post.

DG said...

hi Shamill, of course. :) Here it is..

http://domesticgoddess-ourworldmyworld.blogspot.com/2009/01/best-ever-beef-lasagna.html

shamill said...

thanks will try it out this weekend. i remembered u created a link for your recipes but cudn't find it. hehe gotta learn from u how to cook nutritious meals for my kiddo.

Jas said...

hi Domesticgoddess,

I've just chanced upon your blog and found that you're an amazing mum to me as you've given so much to your kids in enriching their lives.

May I know when did you start sending your son to learn piano and where?

At this young age, is it recommended to have group learning or individual learning of piano?

DG said...

Hi Jas, thanks for your kind words. i can't tell you if it is better for young kids to learn in groups or not, but my hubby and I prefer 1 to 1 music lessons. My son started in Oct 08 but so far he just had 22 half-hour lessons as we took a break in Dec 08/Jan 09.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...