Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Ones That Look Like Sweets

The other day, I was out running errands with my 4yo. 

While queueing to pay at a Watson's counter, I noticed my boy was picking up and examining the little packages of products on the shelf in front of the cashier. I didn't pay attention to what he was looking at, simply assuming that it must be sweets of some kind. 

A few minutes later... 

"Mummy, is this made of real strawberry? It said 'strawberry-flavoured'!"

"Can we buy this? Is it a sweet? Will I like it?" 

The thing is - he doesn't even like candy or sweets of any sort. I took a quick look at what he was holding and I was so amused and a little embarrassed when I noticed the line of 5-6 people smiling at him (and me).

"No Sweetheart. It is not a sweet and you won't like it."

"If this is not a sweet, then what is it? Can we try it first?"

"Er... Umm.... Come, let's go pay for these items first and I will explain later." (In that moment, I didn't know what to say.)

All the adults around me smiled.  >.<


This was what my 4yo had in his hand. 




What would you say to your child? 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha! they usually have these at the checkout counters rt?

i would tell G tat tis is something meant for adults 2 use, not meant for kids. when he's an adult, like mom n dad, he can use it if he likes. but if he asks for its function, i'll b stumped too.

M said...

Function is to prevent more siblings? :P

DG said...

If I tell Marcus it is only for adults to use, he is bound to ask another ten questions. Haha! But Mel's suggestion is great. But Marcus will probably ask how does it prevent more siblings. LOL!

Alan/Val said...

LOL! L and I have had a painful and stilted conversation about the birds and the bees but I have yet to talk about these "preventive methods" yet! I would have been at a loss for words if that happened to me! I hope I can wait till he is much older, by which time he would have found out by himself.

DG said...

haha about the birds and bees.. i can imagine how painful that conversation can get. With Luke's inquisitiveness, I don't think you can escape discussions like this for too long either. Unless you are expecting him to find out for himself before Grade 1 o 2. LOL! :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...