Sunday, January 11, 2009

Second Book by Marcus - A Book About The World

Whenever M shows interest in examining the globe and our wall-size world map, I always sit with him to answer all his questions. But it was only when he began bombarding me with questions about country flags (read here) that I suggested we make a lapbook on this topic.

He was so keen that he wanted to do it all in one sitting. But I gently discouraged it as I saw it as an opportunity to introduce a lot more. In the end, we took a few weeks. 

It could have been done in a short few days really, but halfway through, my Macbook crashed and I lost everything I had prepared. I took a while to rebuild what I lost while we got distracted with other homeschooling themes. 

It was finally completed just before the school holiday ended! What really pleases me is how much we both have enjoyed the process.

The Step-by-Step...
We started with some introduction to continents, oceans and flags of the world. 

Next, he learnt to locate and name the continents and oceans. Here is a great link I found for this.

This was followed by his selection of ten countries to begin work on. For that, he drew and coloured the flags of these nations, looked at interesting facts that I had prepared and wrote down 2 to 3 facts that he can recall about each country onto his lapbook. 


Lastly, he was given a world map to name the continents and oceans by himself.















His Creativity...
I have wanted his input in every step. So for the front page of this book, I got him to suggest the book title, design and layout. 

He decided on A Book About The World and wanted a picture of a world map. Instead of printing a copy, he tried tracing from a map for the first time. 

The result was better than I expected!





Above: Just a selection of pages from the book.

The Rewards...
Upon completion, he can remember everything that he wrote about the countries.
He can reproduce the flags and even spell the names of the countries he worked on. 
He knows which continents these countries are in and can locate them on a globe. 
He is able to name all the continents and oceans. And he understands terms like equator, the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere.

~~~~
I am so delighted that I persevered despite the huge let down by technology (i.e. my laptop crashing!). 

Not only does it pleases him tremendously whenever he flips his lapbook; the knowledge learnt has boosted his confidence and fueled his interest further to learn more about the countries and cultures in the world. 

8 comments:

SGPmum said...

Hi DG,
Do you mind to share with me on some methodology of how you plan the homeschooling and create / organize the materials?

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to organize efficiently as I have so little time to spend at home and prefer to use this precious time doing things with Trinity. Drop me a line on my blog OK.
Thanks

DG said...

hi SGPmum, i don't follow any particular methodology as I believe they all have merits/shortcomings. I am aware of many approaches, but I prefer to adapt and combine what I like/think is useful for my kid into a list of areas that i like to cover with each child and I go from there.

With N, there is a weekly plan (see my homeschooling posts). But for M, we do a lot of transdisciplinary projects together. Whenever possible, i involve the other kid in something that the sibling is working on.

I do my planning and resourcing as and when I can squeeze in some time. I make notes ALL the time as and when I have ideas, and KIV a lot as I have more ideas than time to work with the kids.

Why not follow BFIAR since you have it now and use that for a start? :) There will be plenty to do just with BFIAR.

I am not sure if I have answered your query, if not, feel free to ask more. :)

SGPmum said...

thanks for the reply. I was also interested in the details of organization. Eg. do you plan a month ahead on what to do each day etc... How do you decide how to balance the curriculum?

DG said...

I make a very flexible weekly plan for N, and try to cover within the week. No daily plan as that will be too rigid. If we can't, I just roll them over to the next. I never do anything with the kids on days when they are not ready or receptive. Depending on how I and the kids feel that day, I will choose the activities from the weekly plan or we may totally ignore it and go out and play. :)

Um.. not sure what you mean by balancing the curriculum. Elaborate?

Anonymous said...

That's a brilliant project idea and M's work is remarkable! A lot of hard work on the part of both of you, I am sure :)

Val

DG said...

Thanks Val. It did require some preparation from me and a lot of learning on M's part. Unlike the first book when he did all the work and I could sit back and watch. But it was lots of fun to do this one. :)

Handydog said...

His work always amazes me and I'm impress. I'm looking forward to his next lapbook!

Anonymous said...

Neat lapbook! We enjoy lapbooking also.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...