Wednesday, September 26, 2007

First Movie: Ratatouille

When I first saw the trailer of a rat that aspired to be a chef, I thought it would be a great film to enjoy with M. I had urged E to get the DVD, thinking M won't be ready to sit through a film in a cinema.

A week ago, I decided to give it a shot and took M to the cinema to watch his first movie while E was home to look after baby. I picked him as usual after school and we caught the double decker bus to head to Cathay Cineleisure. A nice surprise for him. It wasn't easy to pick a right timing since I had to take into consideration his school, nap and meal times. We bought tickets for 1245pm, so had only 45 min to catch a quick bite and toileting. I was more excited than he was, obviously he was oblivious to what was awaiting, though I did try to stir up some excitement by promising popcorn.

With the limited choices at Cineleisure, we settled for Pastamania - which is never a place that I would willingly step into usually. He looked at the menu and told me we have to eat the pizza. Ok, we have to wait 8 min for it. Just after I paid up, he exclaimed with his loudest voice "I am hungry. I want to eat now. Where is my lunch? I want it now! Mama, feed me please. I am starving." I am no longer embarrassed by my son's exclamations in public after being stay-home-mum for so long. Tried to feed him some garlic bread and distracting him with my observations of the surroundings. Waiter came by to inform me that our pizza will be another 8 min late. I was fuming. A hungry tot and assertive mum is not always an easy pair for an inexperienced waiter to cope. She brought the menu for M to choose an alternative and the silly boy insisted on a tiramisu. I said no and chose a baked rice dish and asked for no pepper. It was piping hot when served, after waiting another 5 min for the spoonfuls to cool down, I was annoyed to find pepper sprinkled in the rice. Urgghh... by then my hungry boy was ready to cry, kept shouting "mama, I want to eat the rice". In the end we got a refund, more garlic bread on the house, a complimentary tiramisu (which became my dessert) and rushed to the cinema.

Needless to say, the boy was hungry enough to eat 3/4 pack of the popcorn for lunch. The moment we bought the popcorn, which cost almost the same as one ticket, he stuck his hand into the pack and started digging. Asked him what he was doing, he said he was looking for a big piece. Hah! Once we were seated, he was really like a movie buff. Eyes glued to the giant screen, fingers moving non-stop, travelling from the pack to the mouth, shoving big chunks of popcorn into his tiny mouth, all the while busy chewing. He protested loudly "Mine!" "No, mama, don't eat my food" when I tried to stick my hand into the big pack. Don't know why, I was amused and embarrassed at the same time. Hmm...

Overall, I think he enjoyed the film and the experience. Probably best of all, the popcorn. I did too. Though at one point when he stopped munching, he almost dozed off and half hour before the film ended, he asked to go home. We managed to stay till the end. He rarely asked me questions, but he was obviously amused at many moments. I tried to talk to him about the characters but he won't even reply my question on the name of the rat - Remy. He did ask to eat Ratatouille food a few nights ago and drank a bowl of soup thereafter. For now, I am satisfied enough and I am sure he will be more chatty about the movie once we watch it in the comforts of our own home.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...