"Discipline - that magic word.
The basic tools of discipline come from knowing your child and helping him feel right. A child who feels right, act right. Because you take the time to get to know your child well, he trusts you and will be easier to discipline. The long term benefit of this approach to discipline is that the groundwork you lay when your child is a baby and that you reinforce during his toddler years, will pay off during his childhood.
William Sears M.D.
And some great discipline pointers:
- consistency drives the point home
- act kindly but firmly when disciplining
- always finish with debriefing and an affirmation of love and acceptance and how precious they are
- stay calm when your child is upset
- disciplining appropriately is the most loving thing you can do for your child