Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Flash cards

Tried flashing a set of 40 picture cards (Fruits & Vegetables I got from Popular) to Nicholas for 3 consecutive days and he seems to enjoy the activity very much. Would attentively look at the cards and after some warm-up, even utter lots of sounds as if "commenting" or maybe "talking" to the cards. This morning after I have finished with the flashing, he even protested really loudly as if asking me to do it again. So I did and it pleased him so much looking at the 40 cards one more time.

Instead of following Glenn Doman strictly by introducing only 5 words or BITS cards daily and work up to 25 cards by Day 5, I used the Shichida Method of flashing by categories. Still flashing each card fast for only a second and repeating the names of the cards twice for repetition though. I started flashing GD style English words to Marcus when he was 15 months and results were amazing too. But at Nicholas's age, it would be all input for at least 12 to 18 months, but it will all be worthwhile.

I should remind myself to alternate between English and Mandarin so that hopefully by the age of 2, he would be more effectively bilingual than Marcus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi my baby is 8 months old now and I want to try flashing cards to her. Should I start with flashing her alphabets (small capital then big capital) then followed by numbers, before moving onto words?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Regards
Cindy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...