Thursday, March 2, 2017

Competitions Do Make You Stronger

Personally, I love competitions of any kind, probably much more than my hubby and kids.

I crave the adrenalin pump that I get from knowing that I am competing with the best and the possibility of a win. I embrace the excitement, stress and the 'butterflies in my stomach' feeling at the same time. Perhaps I am also more resilient than I appear. Haha.

I cannot remember if I have always been like this since I was a child. It is also possible that I become so competitive because of my experience in sports. I used to train so many hours 4 to 6 times a week during my teenage years. Juggling demands of school work and sport training, while aiming for both academic distinctions and medals was the reason I jumped out of bed every morning.

Many people shy away from competitions, worrying that they may lose. Many parents may also not sign their kids up for competitions in a bid to protect their children's self-esteem and confidence, unless they are confident that their kids will stand a good chance of winning.

Before every win, there are probably many losses. For every competition that my children take part, they may win some, and lose others. But I always teach them to set goals, aim higher and try harder.

Aim for the stars, so at least you may reach the moon. 

Every experience is valuable. Even in losing, there are lessons to learn. I encourage them to take part in competitions in the areas that they are passionate about.

Last weekend, Chip clinched another medal in Taekwondo. While it is a silver, we celebrated with more pride than before, especially with his scores of 6-0 and 6-1. He is stronger, faster and meaner than a year ago. But there is always room to be even stronger, faster and meaner and I hope he will always aspire for more.

However, recently, I must admit that I have been entertaining thoughts of channeling his strengths somewhere else.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...