Saturday, January 7, 2017

The Dolly: 5-Year-Old

There are a lot of advantages to be the baby at home.

She has access to all the toys and books and she gets to watch TV whenever her siblings are permitted to watch, hence this also means of all the 3 kids, she has the most screen time at this age.

When the parents are too busy to do anything with her, she can persuade one of the older siblings to spend some time with her.

But there are certainly disadvantages of being the youngest in the family.

For one, it is our tendency to overlook her achievements. I was reflecting on my own reactions recently when she came home with a piece of work from art lesson. I praised her for the great effort and she was obviously pleased with her own work. But it struck me later that I used to spend more time examining my boys' work at this age and feeling a lot more pride with my boys. It is a case of 'been there, done that' and I feel so guilty afterwards.

It may be my third time experiencing being a parent to a 5-year-old but it is her first time being the 5-year-old.

I also tend to just prioritize her older siblings' work over our duty to nurture her development. After all, the PSLE and upper primary school work will always seem more important and demanding of my time and energy than preschool literacy.

Again, I know this is wrong and I have been working hard last year, trying to tweak our routines and priorities, so she gets a fair share of me.

Photo in 2016

Photo in 2016

Photo in 2015



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...