Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Eating Better

I have only become more knowledgeable and conscious of the food I put into my body when I started introducing solid food to my first-born, more than 7 years ago.

Though I started reading food labels when I was in my 20's, I was only looking out for very selected information on the nutritional labels such as calorie and % of fat. But in the last 7.5 years, I started reading labels and ingredient lists in a different way. 

In addition to nutritional labels, I also look out for the inclusion of the good stuff (e.g. % of whole grains per serving) and exclusion of the bad ones (e.g. additives, flavourings and preservatives) in every package that I pick up in a supermarket and food store of any kind. 

The more I learn about this topic, the more motivation I have to eliminate processed food from our diet and to eat only whole or 'real' food (I like the definition here).

Looking back at the food choices I made a decade ago, it is alarming and fascinating at the same time, to realize how much I have learnt (or rather how little I knew back then).

I crave to learn more and to put what I know into daily practice.

Hopefully, my kids will be influenced and inspired enough to want to eat well. And more importantly, they will be educated enough to know what that really means and how to go about making wise food choices.





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...