Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Daily Routine: Tennis Days

Though CCAs are not compulsory for lower Primary school students, we have decided to be supportive and encouraged M to pick something this year. I figured now is a good time to pick up some skills and do more activities outside school hours when his school workload is still light. 

Given my own experience with competitive sports during my schooling years, I must admit that I prefer him to be involved in competitive sports too, than to join a club. 

So I was elated and relieved when he came home after the CCA Open House in the first week of school announcing his intention to join the Tennis team. In a way, I was glad I didn't even have to persuade him. 

So once a week, M has what I called the Tennis Day. It didn't take up a whole day, of course not. The tennis practice is just two hours after school dismissal. 

However, it is by far, the busiest and most tiring day for me. Actually I am sure it is for him too. And perhaps also for little Chip. 

6.00am – E wakes up. Nudges me to wake. Then he gently wakes up M. I make breakfast for M and packs him 2 snacks for school. 

7:00am – M leaves for school bus. I either make coffee for myself or head back to snooze till little Chip wakes, which is usually before 8am. Then it's breakfast time for us. 

8am – I potter around the house, get some work done or play with Chip. 

10am  – We do some learning activities together before getting ready for school. Usually I also squeeze in time to make a quick lunch and pack a lunch box for Chip to take to school. 

11:30am – Walk Chip to school. Then it's my time to catch up on work, housework, eat lunch, run errands, appointments etc. 

1:00pm - Get ready to walk to M's school with his lunchbox, change of clothes and tennis racket. 

1:30pm - M's dismissed from school. I sit with him during his lunch hour and wait till he gets to tennis class before making my way back home again. 

3pm  – I take a little breather at home or catch up on more work. Pack a snack for Chip and get ready to pick him up from school. 

3:45pm - Give Chip snacks at school. We walk to M's school. Wait 10 min for M, then we stroll back home. 

5:00pm- Reach home, all dirty and tired. Boys are showered, then off to play for an hour or more while I get on with my work, housework, dinner preparation etc.  

6:00pm - Husband comes home. He plays with the kids till dinner is ready. 

7pm – Eats dinner. More play/quiet time for boys. Bedtime reading. Pack them to bed at 9pm. Finishes up housework and jumps into showers. Winds down for bed. 

10:00pm – ZZzzz for all. 


After the first tennis practice, M walked out of the tennis court, spent and super grouchy. He grumbled that it was all too tiring and he didn't realized that he had to run!! Hahaha!  

He must have been misled by the few minutes during the Open House when he got to swing the racket and hit a few green fuzzy balls over the net, thinking that tennis practice is just that - can't be tough on his legs at all! 

And since I strongly believe in the merits of competitive sports to toughen the body, spirit and soul, I didn't reveal more details (such as the hardships involved) than I needed to either. The practices will get tougher in future, I just know it, but I am also sure that he will survive them. If others can, so can he. 

He just had sixth lesson this week and it is obvious that he is loving it, despite being really exhausted at the end of the long day. 

Actually, these tennis days have also taken a toll on me. I need to sleep more the next day to recover from it. Maybe it is just another sign that I am no longer young. Darn! 

I know I can make it easier on myself by not bringing him lunch. That will save me a lot of time and effort. But the thought of him eating the yucky canteen food is enough for me to persevere. We tried the canteen food on the first tennis practice and I was shocked at how bad it was. So ever since, I would bring him home-cooked lunch on tennis days and lovingly watch him nibble them for the next 40 min (yeah, he is THAT slow an eater!). 

I decided I would deliver lunch for as long as I could, and for as long as he wants me to. Simply because I can. I am a stay-home-mum after all. :> 

Of course this makes him one of the pampered boys in school, but there are plenty of other children with lunches delivered by caregivers, so I'm glad my presence didn't make feel like an odd one out. He certainly hasn't said a word about it. 

In fact, he is always extremely delighted to see me waiting for him at the school foyer. I also realized last week that he was the only one in sight who was still holding the mummy's hand in school. :> 

I find it amusing that I felt more conscious than he did and for a moment, I shook off his hand before he found my hand again and held on to it real tight. Just like how he always does, whenever we are out and about. Aww.....  So what the heck, if he is not conscious about it yet, I shan't either. I will enjoy these moments of my little boy wanting to hold my hand, for as long as possible.  


4 comments:

Karmeleon said...

I've been bringing my no.3 lunch all this while (he's in p6 now). Mainly bc he usually comes out late from class and there would be huge long queues at every stall. Won't have much food left by the time he's out of class!

DG said...

Wow! You are dedicated and your #3 is one lucky boy!

I don't think I would do it for M till he is 12, but I suppose if I were still bringing lunch for N by the time he gets to Pri 4, M would get his share too.

I do see a few upper primary boys in M's school with mums/grandmas bringing hot food. It is such a sweet sight!

The Beauties In Our Lives said...

Nicole is in tennis CCA too since P1, and enjoying thoroughly. I heard ball games like tennis and table tennis are good for hand-eye coordination and to help control myopia, so I totally support her choice...although the blistering sun is making her browner than I would like her to be :(

DG said...

Oh I didn't know about that. That would be an added bonus, though I hope for sure that my boys have inherited my perfect eyesight instead of my hubby's genes. :> In M's school, they have 4 tennis courts and 3 are sheltered from the sun. So luckily he won't be browner than he is. I used to enjoy lots of ball games which were played outdoors, so in my schooling years, I was a real brownie. :P

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...