Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas 2010: When Wishes Come True

After a few years of busying ourselves with Christmas crafts, this year, we did nothing more than a handmade card for the grannies in London. 

Actually only one boy was involved. My 6-year-old was in charge of the design and production process, though he did use a little suggestions from me in the end on the layout. 


The younger boy wasn't keen at first to create anything, so I just let him be. But on the day when we were going to post our Christmas parcel, he changed his mind. In the end, he made a really simple card to be included in the package.




(scanned photos courtesy of grandpa)

As always, my Christmas shopping list is very short and once again, I left the whole task to the last minute. Duh. 

It didn't help that I barely had time to shop in December since the boys are stuck with me during the school holidays and I will avoid any form of shopping with boys in tow if I can. 

It annoys me though that as organized as I can be with other responsibilities, I can't seem to do better with this one. Urgh.

I do love window shopping for ideas, buying something lovely for someone I love, and even the whole dressing up of presents process is loads of fun to me. But early shopping doesn't work for me because

1. I can't make myself shop months ahead of Christmas and keep the presents 'safe' from the recipients. 
2. I will keep wondering if I will come across better presents closer to Christmas and end up shopping a second round closer to Christmas time. 
3. I will worry that the recipients, especially E, may buy the same things before I have a chance to give it to them. 

Anyway... the shopping got done eventually and there was something for everyone. :>

To the boys, this is a bumper year for each received an average of 14 presents! 

Though E always said that it is not the quantity but quality that counts, he seemed to outdo himself every year, spoiling the kids with more parcels than ever. 

What I found surprising though, is the present which the boys considered as their favourite this year. Without a moment of hesitation, they ranked their Ty Beanie Summit Snowy Owl (for M) and Ty Beanie Sniffs Pig (for Chip) above everything else. :> 

The boys wrote to Father Christmas a few weeks ago asking for a pig and an owl. At first, they meant the real animals! But of course they are happy to receive stuffed ones too. 

It was such an awesome feeling to witness M's expression when he caught sight of the snowy owl peeking through after he ripped off a piece of the wrapping paper. He was so pleasantly surprised! And as usual, Chip is extremely delighted to add another swine to his collection, as long as it is pink. 

All the kids' wishes to Santa were met, except for one of M's that got stuck in Europe due to the horrendous weather over the holidays. The boy was informed that the parcel was delayed because one of Santa's reindeers got hurt in the bad weather and it will arrive after Christmas. He was disappointed but sympathetic enough to get over it quickly. :> After all, there were plenty of new toys and books to distract him. 

No wonder Christmas is a magical time that little kids look forward to. 

And for as long as E can, he will want to keep the magic alive for the boys, the way Christmas was to him when he was a little boy. 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...