Friday, November 5, 2010

What's Keeping Him Busy?


On the days when I am more critical of myself, I feel guilty about neglecting my 4 years old. But on other days, I know I really should not be feeling this way. 

Come January next year, when his older brother starts Primary One, I will have a solid few hours of alone time with him. I can make it up to him then. 

For now, he is doing well. In fact, really well, if I remember that he is only 4! 

He has been keeping himself really busy. Besides playing (Lego, train-set, make-believe, puzzles etc... ) on his own or with Marcus, there are these three other activities which he likes to spend his daily time on.


(1) Writing: Lots and lots of adorable stories by our little storyteller. He is starting to spell a few simple words just on his own. He keeps asking for help to spell other words and is so keen to write! 


Peter says I don't want to go to school. So his mom didn't like Peter. Mum took off his pants and send a SOS. When she sent the SOS, she had a tummyache. 

(He learnt about SOS from another book which I was reading to him at that time. He was fascinated with it!)

Dad was hungry but there was no food. What can we do? Good question. There was a big sandwich and a man took the sandwich. 

This really cracks us up! Especially the part on 'good question!'. Hee hee... I know where he gets that from. :P


The two children is not going to play. I know on this day. 

(He had originally told us a longer version of this story but after writing the first two sentences, he decided he didn't want to write the rest anymore). 


(2) Drawing: Very, very inspired by Marcus, so he is drawing ROBOTS now. And still lots of mazes. :> 











(3) Reading: 
I am really, really happy with his progress. :D  He is so confident of his own reading ability right now that he actually enjoys reading aloud to me. His speed is up and he is so much more fluent than before. His ability to comprehend stories is also remarkable for his age. It certainly helps that he has a good foundation in the language and his vocabulary is very strong. 


There is still work to be done, but we are getting there! Well done, baby! 

4 comments:

Alice Law said...

Congratulation! I find it's hard to get my girl to learn how to read(she is a visual partial learner), she prefers to memorize the whole story book rather than recognize or learn every single word.

The other day we borrowed a book from the library, " The bears in the bed and the great big storms" it took her a glance to remember the title and recite fluently(even I can't do that), but when I wrote the words into the flash cards, she didn't even bother to look at it... I just wonder if you could help me with this!:)

She is 3 now, I wish she can start to read on her own. Thank you and have a nice day!

O Tulip Mama said...

OMG! He can read fluently at his age. Well done for both of u! I especially like his drawings and mazes, seems to be telling some stories too! Did he come up with the maze idea himself? I'm gonna try this idea for my girl. Seems fun!

DG said...

Hi Alice, a visual-spatial learner should find it easy to learn through the whole word approach. And it doesn't have to be through flash cards. I don't think learning to read with flash cards is an effective method with kids who are 3 and above.

She must really enjoy being read to and most likely you have done well in spending time to read frequently to her too, if she is able to memorize the whole story. :> Why not keep up with the effort of reading to her and engage her in this way. :>

DG said...

Hi O Tulip Mama, thanks. You are right there - he has stories for every maze and drawing. :)

It all started a few months ago when my boys watched their daddy play the Super Mario game for a few consecutive nights. They got inspired and started drawing mazes to challenge their grandpa who was visiting us then. Ever since, my younger one has been loving the idea of mazes. He creates very different themes every week. You should try with your girl! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...