Wednesday, October 27, 2010

From Haze to Fire-Extinguisher

Just a few days ago, I was in a cab with both boys when my 6 years old commented on the colour of the sky. 

I mentioned the haze from the forest fire in Indonesia and how it has affected us in the recent years. The images in their minds must have led them to recall the forest fires in Australia and its devastating effect, a topic which came up in one of dinner table conversations. 

One topic led to another and a discussion was fired up on how fire-fighters have to put out fires from the air etc.. 

By now, both boys were a little too excited and loud in their competition to contribute their voices to the discussion. I had to calm them down with quite a few "Ok, shush now... a little softer please.. you are distracting the uncle (the taxi-driver)". 

I thought I caught the taxi-driver glancing at my chatty/noisy/brilliant/annoying (depending how one would view their interactions) young men via the rear-view mirror. It didn't look like he appreciated the "education" my boys were offering freely within his earshot. 

Oops. 


Then a minute of silence before Marcus continued. 

Marcus: Is there water or gas in the fire extinguisher? 

Me: Hmm.. What do you think? 

Marcus: Gas? But will it be enough? 

Me: Yes, for small fires. And yes, it is gas. I think the gas can be carbon dioxide or nitrogen depending on the type of extinguisher. But I am not sure. We go read up later, ok? And carbon dioxide and nitrogen are just two types of gases in the air. There are a few others, like the oxygen that we breathe in. 

Marcus: How do we separate the gases in the air? And how is the carbon dioxide put into the extinguisher?  (Haha... even I was impressed with his questions!)

Me: Umm...  I don't know. Let's ask daddy later. If he doesn't know too, we go read up! 


I was fascinated by his thought process. It probably went something like this:  

... haze ...   fire ... putting out fire.... with water?...  fire extinguisher .... now, how does it work??


As usual, Marcus was pleased that he has asked yet another "clever" question, a term which I introduced to the kids a while ago. He grinned as he remarked "clever question, huh?

Both boys take immense pleasure in stumping their parents (mostly me, since they spend big part of their day with me) with truckload of clever questions on a daily basis. It is like a game to them. Their sense of satisfaction is often so plainly displayed on their innocent faces when the score reads: 

Boys  1            Mummy 0


They understand that there are no stupid or silly questions. And they have learnt that it is perfectly alright not to have answers to questions straightaway ALL the time. 

The truth is - I enjoy being stumped by their inquisitiveness. It is so precious to be able to play such a big part in their learning process and quest to understand their world. 

I enjoy such moments A LOT!



6 comments:

Alice Law said...

Being inquisitive and imaginative are part of kids' valuable asset! I always love your boys, specially Marcus for his extraordinary maturity and logistic thought...

You can probably show them the documentary about how the forces extinguish such extensive jungle fire, they normally chop off the trees to control the fire spreading while the choppers will spray sulfur dust on the frames!^-^ Very Interesting!

Enjoy and have a great day!

thesavvymummy said...

Wow, you have amazing boys! I don't know the answers to their questions. In fact, I don't even know that the fire extinguisher contains carbon dioxide and nitrogen. Seems like you're an amazing mom too.

Bryan and Brandon's Mama said...

Reading this post gave me a headache because of all the terminology LOL!! Too deep for this dumb mum. Well done to your boys!!!
P/S: what do you feed them with???

DG said...

Hi Alice, thanks for the suggestion. We always enjoy our documentaries but have not come across one on this topic just yet. Will keep a look out for it. I didn't know the trees are chopped to prevent the spread. How fascinating! :>

DG said...

Hi thesavvymummy, you are too kind! I suppose the upside of having kids who ask plenty of questions is that we are "forced" to find out the answers ourselves. I have definitely learnt a lot more in the recent few years than I ever did in my lower primary years. LOL!

DG said...

Byran and Brandon's Mama, LOL! I feed them "books"!! Haha.

Seriously, their diet does not consist of anything special or unusual, except that I do try to give wholesome food, more home-cooked meals, and cut down on sugar and processed food. That said, they also have their share of treats occasionally.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...