Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ahh.. The Unexpected Compliments

Anyone who chats with me about motherhood will hear from me the many joys of playing mum. 

It is not that I wish to deliberately delude them into thinking that life is a bed of roses when one becomes a mum. 

But hey, I do think that when we put all in life into perspective, the sheer pleasure and satisfaction of raising our own kids and having a relationship with them outweigh all costs (and sacrifices) involved. 

When we are harassed by the daily grind, it is all too easy to forget to laugh and savour the simple merriment that our offsprings are so capable of bringing.

For me, the antics of my cheeky boys mean the world. And one that tickles me to no end is the way they speak. 

Sometimes my sweet little boys will pay me such compliments that totally caught me off guard. 

Like yesterday, on the way to school. 

What started off as a typical (unsolicited) feedback from my almost 4-year-old who uttered "Mummy, you are really beautiful today", became a string of hilarious flattery as the two boys tried to outdo each other in their attempts to compliment me. 

"You have the prettiest dress on you!"

"Um..your hair is very nice today"

"You will look even more beautiful if you have stars on your body, Mummy"

"Oh, I can imagine how beautiful you must be to have glitter glue on your face!" 

"And I can imagine how pretty you will look if you let me put paint on your tummy!"

Hahaha! 

Luckily, they still have time to polish up their skills before they enter the dating scene. 

For now, I am enjoying these moments of attention from my handsome little men, who deliver more unsolicited sweet-talk to me than the big guy at home. 

Playing the role of their mummy can be really tiring on most days, but I still love being their mummy!


And I love these cheeky faces! 

4 comments:

Handydog said...

Wahaha...what sweet thoughts! At least they started with the intention to compliment. I'm tickled reading this post.

Anonymous said...

Very lovely! I'm normally pottering around in house shorts and tees. But I put on a denim mini skirt the other day. Thing 1 (3 year old) passes by - does a double take - and said: Is that a jeans skirt, Mama? It looks so nice on you.

I was beaming from his compliment and a little astounded by his observant comment!

Sharon
(ps got your email, but we're all STILL trying to recover from this dreaded cold!)

The Beauties In Our Lives said...

Awww...so sweet! Now, you can have lots of sweet compliments from your boys (and hubby too!) - making you feel like the best lady on earth! Indulge in these sweetnesses. I must say your boys do know how to compliment really well!

DG said...

Karen, glad you enjoyed it. Don't be surprised if next time you get some of these compliments from chipsy. :P

Sharon, that is not bad at all! To be able to differentiate a jeans skirt from others is quite a challenge for a 3 y.o, eh? Soon, you will probably get truckloads of more sophisticated lines from him. :> Hope you guys are on way to recovery!

Linette, it is true my kids can be real sweet with their words sometimes. Maybe they are encouraged because they can sense that mummy is a sucker for such sweet nothings! haha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...