Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Bento #42

Every week, my boys will bug me to make them a bento lunch to take to school.

Chipsy has never been fond of the lunch served since day one. But the teachers told me he would dutifully eat a small bowl, sometimes leaving behind the pieces that he dislikes. I know my son well, so I know which are the pieces that he leaves untouched - the yucky fishcake! Truth be told, I am glad he scoffs at them. :>

Though Marcus loved the food from school in the beginning (because he gets to eat fishcake and crappy sausage in school which I don't serve) and was reported to eat as many as 3 (small) bowls each day, the novelty is now gone. I guess there is only so much crappy fishcake and sausage a child can eat! So it is now back to ONE teeny bowl a day.

A few months ago, I started making them an occasional bento for lunch, whenever I can spare a little time during our crazy mornings. Ever since, the boys have been asking for it more often.

They have lots of ideas of what to include in their lunchboxes and sometimes I feel a tinge of guilt for not giving in. I know it sounds crazy to even consider feeling guilty. After all, I always make sure they get nutritious breakfast and a good snack after school to make up for the lousy food they have at lunch.

But they often looked at me with such sweet faces and cute expressions with their 'Mummy, can we bring a bento to school today please? Can I have xxx in my lunch? Please, Mummy?'

Here is a recent bento I made when I went the 'extra mile' to make them happy. 


Stir-fried vegetables, with garlic prawns and onigiri made with Japanese short-grain rice and topped with white sesame seeds.

They were small-sized because the kids have only 20 min to eat and my boys are fairly slow eaters. Especially Marcus who 'counts his grains on each spoon', much to everyone's annoyance! :>

Soon, I will have to get back to the habit of making a bento every morning for Marcus to take to school. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...