Wednesday, June 2, 2010

So Long, Our Friends



A few weeks ago, my little boy cried when he learnt that two of his favourite friends will be leaving Singapore for good.

One left this morning for the States and the other, by the end of the month to Germany.

It is heartbreaking to watch him sob. He asked if he would see them again. Frankly, we have no answers.

Even when they do meet again, it probably would not be the same any more. After all, friendships, especially at this tender age, need nurturing. Though technology will help bridge the gap, it isn't a substitute.

天下无不散之宴席。

I have learnt to accept this a long time ago. Growing up, my parents didn't do much to help me cope with my heartbreaks whenever we had to move and I had to lose all my friends.

Now, as a parent, I want to do more for my sentimental little boy.

I hope that with the right words and emotional support, he will learn to cherish his relationships with people (not just friends) and also accept that most will leave him at some point in his life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...