Saturday, April 24, 2010

An Hour of Antiquities


M has been fascinated with ancient Egyptians and their way of life for over a year now. 

When we were in London last year, he announced to everyone in the family that we would all be visiting Egypt this July, together with grandpa and grandma.  

He even made an itinerary of what he would like to see - from the Great Sphinx, the Great Pyramids and a step pyramid, a mummified Pharaoh and the River Nile etc..

We didn't take him seriously enough though to make that wish come true - just yet. He is too young to appreciate a vacation to Cairo and we can't imagine him enjoying himself that much in the hot desert either. He probably would take one look at the Great Sphinx, get so annoyed with the heat and tired from the walking and announce 'OK, let's get back to Singapore now!'. 

So when I learnt about the Quest for Immortality- The World of Ancient Egypt exhibition at the National Museum of Singapore, I figured this would be the next best thing. For now at least. 



I was very pleased that we finally made it just before it ended on 4th April. 

It was a good enough experience for M to be able to come up close and a little more 'personal' with the Egyptian artifacts and antiquities. It was definitely fun to admire walls of hieroglyphics and watch short clips together of how the ancient Egyptians carried out the mummification process and construct their pyramids etc. 

But I must say that I was kind of disappointed with the scale of the exhibition. Of course, I am comparing it with what I have seen in London, and yes I know that my expectations aren't realistic. 

Nonetheless, I am glad we didn't miss it. My only regret is we didn't get to linger longer at the artifacts section or join the guided tours. Well, I shouldn't be greedy. 

2 comments:

Alice Law said...

I really impressed by the way you inculcate your boys into encyclopedic! You always give me "hunches" on what to instill in my kids, thanks!

Btw, bravo to Marcus for his inquisitiveness! have a pleasant week ahead!

DG said...

Hi Alice, you are most welcome. I am sure you are full of ideas yourself, judging from your efforts with your kids. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...