Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas in Phuket 2009

We have never been fond of going on vacations during the Christmas period, preferring a quiet family affair. But for a change, we decided to take off to Phuket for a 8-days vacation to spend Christmas this year with family members living in Thailand. Besides, we can't go wrong with plenty of sun, sand, sea, spa and seafood. 

While the boys were spending hours by the beach, digging away making their 'volcanoes' and collecting their holiday mementos (in the form of seashells and rocks), I was being pampered at my favorite place - spa at the Banyan Tree - my version of what Nirvana should be.

After those nimble and yet gentle fingers had worked their magic on me, my skin glowed and my mood soared a new high.

The rest of the holiday was filled with plenty more highlights from feasts and parties to adventurous day trips.

Spending Christmas with Aunt H and Uncle E was just fabulous, especially for the kids. The duo showered love and attention generously on the kiddos throughout the period they were with us. They lugged along a mountain of thoughtfully selected presents in their travelling bags for all of us.

Christmas Day was spent riding elephants and watching animals in the zoo before we feasted on another magnificent spread at the Sheraton Grande Laguna, completed with champagne and wines.


Marcus was quite stunned by this stunt.


The boys' first elephant ride.

On Boxing Day, we did the unusual (for our family anyway) and went for a full-day trip on the Andaman Sea that included visiting the Phang Nga Bay, the famous James Bond Island and Hong Island, sea caves and plenty of canoeing.



That was where I had my first close encounter with stalactites and stalagmites. Just amazing!

I had psyched myself up for bats flying above my head before we reached those caves, so I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted instead, by numerous sightings of orange jellyfish and walking fish - the Mudskipper! It was real nice that the kids have the chance to observe these creatures up close.

Though it was tiring, the day trip totally surpassed my expectations and was certainly one of the highlights of this year-end vacation. The remaining days were spent pretty much lazing by the pool and catching up on my reading before we bade Phuket farewell. Marcus had so much fun that he actually shed buckets of tears and was unconsolable for a while on the day of departure.

Back to Singapore, we gathered my family for the best get-together this year - plenty of food, laughter, jokes and family bonding, just before the Countdown.

2009 has been a marvelous year for our family in all aspects.

We are very thankful and are looking forward to another great year!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Phuket is a firm favourite of ours and many of our customers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...