Monday, November 9, 2009

On TV and Raising An Imaginative Child

As the great genius, Albert Einstein, once said 'Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create.'

We are all born with the precious gift of a great imagination; how we use it is another matter. 

Like many gifts and talents our little ones may possess, the wonderful imagination of a young mind needs to be nurtured for its glory and magic to work wonders. 

If it is not encouraged and appreciated over time, chances are, our children will turn less to their imagination for entertainment and enjoyment and instead, rely on more passive means of discovery such as the television, DVDs and computer games.

I didn't have any views on this until M was a few months old and my sister gave us a stack of VCDs as present. I stashed those away quietly and pondered. After some research and reflecting on the way I want to raise my kids, I formed some pretty strong views which have persisted over the years. 

I don't introduce my kids to computer games, podcasts or any 'educational' games on DVDs etc. I don't believe in teaching them through an online game or get them to watch TV to learn new words. There are so many better ways to learn about the world and the worldly ways than sitting in front of a handheld device or electronic box of any kind. 

When I want to teach them something, I find the materials and sit with them to teach. 

When I want to keep them occupied while I am busy with something, I still prefer they go play on their own or together, read, draw or do a craft. 

So because of this strong stance I have on the matter, my kids are not familiar with the TV schedules or regular programmes. We don't subscribe to any kids channels either. 

They do not switch on the TV or put on a DVD (we do own some!) whenever they like. They have learnt to ask for permission. When none is given, they protest like normal children, but they learn to understand and accept our reasons and that 'we don't always get what we want this very minute we want it'.

Over time, they have become very good at finding ways to entertain themselves throughout the day when I wasn't doing anything with them. 

Do they feel deprived? Definitely not my 3 year old who doesn't miss TV at all. In fact, the longer the break he takes from watching TV, the longer his tolerance. My 5 year old may grumble at times that he hasn't watched TV for many days. But that protest usually comes when it is close to bedtime and he tries to delay going to bed. If we offer to read to him, that 'desire to watch TV' just vanishes!  

Does this mean that No TV = Imaginative Kids? Not necessarily either. 

I think how we communicate with them and our coaching style makes a key difference in whether they will turn out to be mildly imaginative (can pretend play which most kids can do) or wildly imaginative.  

But it sure means that my kids are not relying on passive means and more on their own imagination to entertain themselves. They learn to be very resourceful in the process. 

Since there are two of them, they ended up communicating with each other a lot more too as they discover, create, problem-solve and play together. They make up silly games to amuse themselves like their 'hunt for witches' or 'hide from witches' games, and hiding in their imaginative tunnels, caves, tents etc made with their beddings......  


One of their cheeky games - Chipsy pretending to be the 'hamburger' and asking M to eat him. They take turns to be the hamburger patty and the other will pretend to chomp it down. Always plenty of squealing and giggles. 


His idea to do a collage when I suggested craft instead of TV. Kept him happily occupied for 1.5 hr. 

Even if their playtime turns into conflict, they learn plenty in the process. 

Occasionally, we do watch certain quality programmes (if I chance upon them) or just enjoy a family movie together. For these special moments of family entertainment time, I like to sit between them, cuddle up and share a laugh together. 

I prefer my boys to view such occasions as special leisure time to look forward to, and not take them for granted as part of a daily routine. The former must bring more pleasure when savoured. 

2 comments:

Karen said...

Hi hi

I was recommended by a few moms from a forum to your blog.

I am a SAHM too and I must say that I never believe in being extemely strict with TV for my child who is 3yo now despite all the research about 'no TV' for young children. I feel that TV can be educational when selected programs are viewed with proper parental guidance at all times instead of using it merely as a baby sitter.

As such, my son will only watch a program when I am there to talk to him about it. Otherwise, he is hardly interested in TV (not even cartoons). From such interaction during a program, he learns and communicates. I believe that TV should be allowed under controlled circumstances and not be strictly ommitted.

DG said...

Hi Karen, welcome to my blog and thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that there are some quality programmes which can be highly educational and entertaining if kids watch them in the company of an adult.

I like the National Geographic, Animal Planet and Discovery channels, but even for these channels, not every programme is suitable for our young ones. When we do come across suitable programmes that we think may be of interest, we watch together.

We don't ban TV watching at home. What we discourage though, is the freedom to watch whatever and whenever. At least for now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...