Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What a 5 Year Old Will Remember

I have only very scant impressions of my grandmother. Just the little bits of precious details of two incidents, both took place when I was 7. 

I always feel it is a real shame. If only I had more memories of my grandparents. If only I could remember more of my experiences and time I spent with them. If only there is something that I could look at from time to time, that reminds me of them. A little possession of theirs. Or something previously precious that they cherished. If only I knew more about them. 

This is something that I always yearn for my kids. I wish and hope they have more of what I didn't have.

In years to come, my 5 year old may not remember all the fun he had and places that he had been to when he was small. He may not remember many beautiful memories that we painstakingly tried to create. But I hope he will remember something wonderful about the times he spent with his grandparents when he was small and the warmth he felt when they showered love on him. I hope he would have more of such sweet memories to hold on to.

M enjoying a little cuddle at a park with grandma. When we first got back from London, he would cry every time he thinks of her. He said he misses her and wanted to go back to cuddle her. When I asked him how does he know that his grandma loves him, his reply 'I just know, she cooked nice breakfast for me, read to me and played with me. And she cuddled and kissed me.'

2 comments:

Ivana said...

Oh dear... how sweet... I think that is what B's and S's grandparents think all the time. They just left last week and every day they ring me to find out if B asks about them and whether she misses them.

And B, she keeps saying that she wants to go to Australia to see A-ma and Kong Kong. I too hope that she will remember all the good times (though short) that they spent together.

DG said...

Hi Ivana, oh I can totally understand. that is why photos are so important. They preserve memories. Keep a blog too! :D But you got to tell me if and when you have one.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...