Sunday, May 10, 2009

The New Beginnings....A Very Exciting Time!

Ever since my first announcement on 31st March to start lapbooking classes, the positive response has encouraged me to expand swiftly from my initial plan of just one class to three classes a week. 

In June, I shall be even busier with the addition of June Holiday Siblings Workshops. 

Round-Up
The first class for age 2-3 just had their fourth and last lesson this week. Each child brought home their very own lapbook that is packed full of all the activities they did in class. For every lesson, we covered 12 to 15 activities related to themes that I have selected and the kids made crafts every week.

Parents also received a suggestion sheet after every lesson on home activities to reinforce learning. This is appreciated by many who see the suggestions as very interesting and some told me they have learnt a lot themselves just by going through the lessons with their tots.

What is also exciting is the feedback from parents of the keen interest their kids have in looking through the lapbook at home. It is to be expected, since the child is fully involved in the lapbooking process. The lapbook will serve as a wonderful reminder and useful reinforcement to what they have learnt. 

My own boys look at their lapbooks very often and they can still recall details of complicated concepts and lessons learnt when they browse through the lapbooks they made months ago. 

The other classes are half-way through their lessons now. 

I am so pleased to share that 95% of parents of the current students in ALL classes have signed up for more lessons. Some have committed for lessons till October. 

After a month of burying my head in work, I must say I really enjoy every moment of it. It wasn't a piece of cake. I spent hours after hours and night after night, planning the curriculum, researching and preparing the lapbooking materials before the delivery of the actual lessons.

But it is extremely rewarding, especially when I see how enthusiastic these parents are in their kids' development and learning. In the other classes where the older kids are unaccompanied, it is so satisfying to watch them participate zealously on the materials that I have spent hours preparing. After just a few lessons, I can already see the strengths and weaknesses of each child and where their potential may lie. This is useful insight as I work with their parents to accelerate the child's development.

In addition to enriching my own children's learning experiences, I can now make a positive impact on other young minds. That is incredibly meaningful to me! 

The age 2-3yo class will resume next week to begin the next round of class that is based on a new literature. While the lessons will still be conducted through trans-disciplinary thematic activities, the focus will shift now as we place more emphasis on a different set of disciplines.

There will also be an increasing coverage on Chinese language activities in this next round of lessons. Eventually, the goal is to work towards a bilingual lapbooking class for all age groups. 

On top of everything, I am working on a new website. Once that is ready, all lapbooking classes related announcements and updates shall be channeled there. 

I am also planning new classes and timings for August to October 2009.

There will be a new bilingual programme for toddlers between 15 and 24 months coming up! 

So there is A LOT happening here. Certainly, a very exciting time!  

Do stay tuned for updates! 

11 comments:

M said...

Wow that's really alot you're busy with. Impressive as always! :)

Amy Lim said...

Happy blessed mother's day to u!..this is one of the greatest satisfaction to u! n i wished u all success for your passionate in sharing the love of learning.

My son is only 9 months,n i enjoyed reading ur blog. Children love to learn by nature! Hopefully will be able to join ur class in near future.Staying tune at ur''mummy love school''.Best wishes!..

Amy Lim

3lilangels said...

Your classes sound wonderful. We would definitely sign up too if we were in Sg.

DG said...

Thank you ladies. :) I wish you all a happy belated Mother's Day too!

Amy, if you are keen for your son to join us in future, do stay tuned. There are some very exciting news coming up for toddlers under 2. :)

DG said...

3lilangels, thanks for being so supportive! Who knows, perhaps in near future, my classes may be available in KL too! *wink*

Anonymous said...

Wow wow wow, there is truly alot of happening! And I am truly awed at how you make time for the preparation. Elaine turns 2yo in this Sept, can't wait for her to join your class :)

DG said...

Hi vegepiglet,

If you are keen, Elaine can now join the new programme for tots under 2 known as Bright Tots Campus programme. Do check out my new blog www.thetotsuniversity.blogspot.com for more details.

For the Bright Minds Lapbooking class, my current youngest student is 20 month old and he is participating as enthusiastically as the older kids. :>

Anonymous said...

WOW!

exciting stuff indeed!!!(:

-charmaine

KoLe said...

impressive. inspiring.
amazed at your energy
:)

Alan/Val said...

Wow, well done, S! You are certainly making good use of your time and talents, and having a good time too :)

DG said...

Charmaine, Kole and Val! Thanks! I am certainly smiling. It has all gone really well. :) More off line.. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...