Monday, April 20, 2009

My Super Bean Stew

One of my favourite dishes to serve for lunch is what I called the Super Bean Stew. (Those who know the super porridge from Super Baby Foods by Ruth Yaron will understand.) 

This is super-duper healthy stuff for my boys. Each serving is choked full of nutrients from the mixed pulses and whole grains. 

All I have to do is add the mixed beans and grains, some home-made or quality store bought stock and throw in a few more ingredients that I have in the fridge. Let it stew away for two hours on low heat while I get on with the busy day. 

It is ready to serve when the grains are soft and pulses are slightly on the mushy side. 



I have made this bean stew quite a few times and each time with different ingredients.  

Except for once when I added chopped crispy bacon which I fried first, the other versions were all vegetarian. I often add canned chopped tomatoes to further enhance the flavour and nutrition. 

I have cooked it with more stock before, ending with an almost soupy meal (like the photo here). But I also enjoy it served a little drier, like a stew should be.

It is great on its own or eat with warm brown bread. 

My 4yo is very fond of this and will easily lap up a huge bowl. My 2yo is a little more fickle, but will usually finish whatever he is served with a little coaxing. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey DG,

Thank you for your post! Just what I needed! have a bag of mixed beans and thinking hard how I should best prepare (cos some of the beans "discolorised" after soaking and cooking and overall looks unappetizing even to me). The stew looks really yummy and super healthy. Will try out this recipe soon! Thank you for sharing!

DG said...

hi vegipiglet, try it and let me know what you think. I really love its versatility and just how healthy and delicious it is. Oh! Do add brown rice to your mixed beans for complete protein.

Anonymous said...

Hallo DG,

Could you share what are the beans you used? I do not know much varieties of beans other than the red, green and black beans.

Thanks for sharing! :)

KC :)

lishan17 said...

Ooh... It looks really tasty! Yum!

Handydog said...

Great receipe...easy for me and the girls love it. Thanks!

DG said...

Thanks ladies! Do let me know how yours turned out, especially if you try it with different ingredients. :)

KC, sometimes I use a mixed bean pack that I buy from supermarkets or organic shops which would have lots of varieties in them. But I also mix my own or add different beans/peas/grains to the mixed bean pack.

I usually do a combination of pulses, beans and grains to achieve complete vegetarian protein.

No hard and fast rule in proportion either but I try to add varieties as I do have quite a few types in my pantry.

You will most likely find a combination of the following in those supermarket ready packs -
(red/green/brown) lentils, (yellow/green) split peas, (long/short grain) brown rice, barley, millet, quinoa, (haricot/kidney) beans.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! It looks like I've got a nice list to get started with, I'm going to try get some from the supermarkets later on... :)

KC :)

Winnie said...

Hi, could i know how you usually made the home-made stock and which brand of quality store bought stock you used & where you bought it?

DG said...

Hi Winnie

I often make chicken or vegetable stock.

For chicken stock, I use either bones of 2 roast chicken or an uncooked Kampung chicken with 2-3 carrots, 1-2 stalks celery, 1 onion, 2 cloves garlic crushed. Simmer for 2-3 hours once it boils. Then sieve and chill the stock in fridge overnight or for at least 4 hrs. Then scoop and discard the top layer of 'fat' and you get a good stock.

I do the same with vegetable stock but it is a lot easier to make obviously since it is just a pot full of vege. I often add in tomatoes in my vege stock as it really flavours the stock.

I buy the organic brand of chicken stock available at Cold Storage. I haven't bought it for a while now, so I can't remember the brand. But you should be able to find it easily as there is only one organic brand in carton packaging, Cost about $9/carton I think. Or you can try VitaKids and other health shops too.

Winnie said...

Thanks for the helpful info =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...