Sunday, January 4, 2009

Video - 4yo Reads 'The Gingerbread Man'

One of the books I gave my 4yo for Christmas 2008 is The Gingerbread Man. 

He wasn't even interested when he ripped open the package. So the book was tossed aside on the floor with the other newbies - Goldilocks and The Three Bears, Harold and The Purple Crayon, and Frederick by Leo Lionni. 

I read it for the first and only time (so far) to him and Chipsy four days after Christmas. Thereafter, he was so keen on the story that he would read it in bed for the following few nights. All on his own.

On New Year's Day, I gently suggested that I do a video of him reading the book out loud, so grandpa and grandma in faraway London can also watch and listen. He was instantly keen.



We have never bought any Ladybird classics before. I don't really know why. They are so much cheaper compared to the collections we selected from Borders and Kinokuniya.

M's first exposure to a Ladybird classic of such was when grannies came visiting last April with a few titles like Pinnochoi, The Sly Fox and The Little Red Hen and The Elves and The Shoemaker.

We should really buy more in future. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marcus has an incredible reading ability for his age! I love these classic books but you don't see them much in the bookshops, the newer titles get more shelf space, more prominence. Perhaps it's also because these more traditional stories are less PC and in some ways, scarier for young kids...the gingerbread man gets eaten, so does Red Riding Hood and her grandma, Hansel and Gretel are abandoned. Oh my!

Val

DG said...

Thanks! We are thankful that he is so keen to read on his own. :)

Hey, stock them up in SGP next time you return. $5 each from Popular! Thin and light as a feather, so good for packing and great for presents too!

I totally agree about the stories in these classics being scarier to little kids. Marcus burst into tears when I read it for the first time when the Gingerbread man got eaten.

Lilian said...

So cute his husky voice. Great reading Marcus!

DG said...

Thanks Lilian. hee hee.. i think his reading voice is too low for a kid his age. Real weird to listen sometimes.

Joyful Hands said...

Hi!
Chanced upon your blog & saw what your son read. So happen that my 3+ years old girl likes the same book too. I bought the Ladybird version too, but looks a little different.

zkcp said...

I love his voice! He is really an amazing kid!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...