Sunday, January 18, 2009

Thoughts on Schooling

I started scouting for pre-schools for M in late 2006 with the plan to enrol him only in 2007 when he was turned 2.5 yo. I visited 8 kindergartens/pre-schools and spent between 1.5 to 4 hours at each place. I was thorough in my research as I spoke to neighbours, teachers, principals and founders of some schools. I observed how the lessons were conducted, peeped from outside the classrooms, scrutinised the menu (as most schools provide snacks/one meal) and their lesson plans, asked millions of questions about their curriculum etc... Finally I shortlisted a few and went back once or twice more, just to be sure. After the long process, I decided on the one that suits us best, which is where M goes to now.

So when it comes to my choice of pre-school for Chipsy, it should be easy - follow the brother!
 
But for some reasons I can't pinpoint, there is a nagging thought that this school may not be as suitable for little Chip. Maybe because my confidence for the school has been slipping lately. I just don't think they are doing a fantastic job in the Chinese curriculum, hence my motivation to homeschool M in this area. 

M has certainly reaped the benefits of a Montessori education so far. He is independent, confident and able to think for himself, just to name a few qualities. I'm sure staying there for another 2 years may help to enhance his development. But I also think that if we transfer him to a non-Montessori school this year, he will take with him the skills that he has learnt and work on what he is lacking.

The only problem - I can't find a better alternative that meets all our requirements. So for now, we shall leave it at status quo and work on deciding whether to enrol him to a local primary school at age 6+ or an international school for the IB PYP, and if latter, at what age and which one.

As for little Chip, our previous plan was to enrol him in M's school for daily 3hr class starting this May. After more thoughts, we are going to postpone that to August or maybe even January 2010. I think he will benefit more to be home with me, at least till he turns 3, as long as we keep up with our weekly homeschooling. 


He constantly amazes me in terms of how much and how fast he picks up. He can certainly handle more stimulation. 

I am fine tuning our homeschooling activities to incorporate right-brain training and stronger emphasis on certain areas to accelerate learning and build on his strengths.

Perhaps he will attend some weekly enrichment, but only if I think they are truly beneficial. 

He was playing quietly on his own one morning when he exclaimed 'Mummy, look at the diamond and hexagon!'. He had formed hexagon with 2 trapeziums, a circle with semi-circles and a rectangle out of squares! *smile*
 
Little Chip playing with a cardboard taxi which he helped to make one morning. 

3 comments:

KoLe said...

I had the chance to visit an IB PYP school overseas and I was in awe and still am.
if only.

KoLe said...

oh.. to add.
I think you are doing a FANTASTIC job homeschooling the boys.
applause!

(my hotmail is giving me prob recently at home. cant access at all.)

DG said...

Thanks Kole. :) We are currently leaning towards an IB PYP too, so now the only question is which school. Which one did you visit?

If you like, you can leave an alternative contact (email or HP) thru a separate comment on this blog. But for security reasons, I will just read it and note it down, then delete it. So it will be for my eyes only. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...