Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Say Hello to the 'Terrible Two'


Chipsy complained loudly that his leg hurt. I took one look and was relieved. It just looked like there was some dry brownish bit left from his old mozzie bite. 

He must have scratched it too much and felt it stinging. I asked him again if it was painful and if he wanted some cream and plaster. 

'Yes, yes Mama. Put cream and plaster. Here.'

I gave the area a little attention. Applied the cream and stuck a plaster on it and went back to what I was doing. A minute later....

'No cream! No plaster! TAKE Out plaster! Mama, TAKE OUT PLASTER!'

Another two minutes of negotiating with him to leave the plaster on and I gave up. Took off the plaster and cleaned the area with a wet wipe. As I was dumping the used plaster and tissue into the bin, 

'I want the plaster! I want plaaaAASssteeeeerr'... followed by BIG BIG wails..... 

I knew what was going there and then. And as I silently cursed the official arrival of the Terrible Two monster, I was also a little amused with whatever was going on. 

Instead of letting it frustrates me and get all upset, I tried to see the light side of it all. After all, I've seen this behaviour before, just two years ago with my first born. I am the experienced mum now. Been there. Done that. Heh. 

So I calmly walked over to my utterly upset little 2 yo with a smile and as much patience as I could summon up, straightened the piece of cute red plaster and stuck it back onto his leg. 

It took another few minutes of distracting him with stories and toys to get out of that little episode. Now, I gotta brace myself for more to come. 

2 comments:

Handydog said...

Wahaha!!! T2, and more...Changing yourself and behaviour is more effective than trying to control. Well done! I wish I can be as calm as you when my time comes :)

DG said...

Haha! I learnt from Marcus' time that calming and consoling the upset tot is more effective than trying to change his behaviour sometimes. You are also an experienced mum, so I am sure you will come up with creative ways to manage #2 when she is in T2. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...