Friday, January 30, 2009

Personal Goals for 2009



The one thing that I do at the start of every year is to set some goals for myself. 

I often feel I am juggling so much on my plate and it is so easy to be carried away by the daily nitty-gritty. 

I hate the feeling that I could have done more or achieved more when I reflect in a few months' time. So I like to have something specific to aim towards. 

Having a list of targets to shoot for also drives me on days when I feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. It helps me prioritize. 

So here are my 10 simple goals that I like to work towards this year. Some are more important than others. For each goal, I also have more specific plans in mind but I won't go into details. 

1. Take good care of myself. 
Eat well, exercise more. Have weekly alone time without the kids. Pamper my body and soul. Take charge of my own happiness!

2. Take good care of my husband.  
Spend more time together. Love and pamper him. 

3. Take good care of my children
Enjoy them everyday. Create beautiful memories and wonderful experiences. Keep up with our weekly homeschooling. Nourish their bodies and nurture their souls.

4. Learn a new skill.
I haven't decided on this one. Maybe pick up tennis or inline skating. Recently I saw some contemporary and exotic dance classes which really fascinates me. Or maybe sign up for art class or photography lessons. Urghh!!! I need to think more about this. I have way too many interests!

5. Revisit an old hobby.
Resume my salsa lessons. I also love to play netball again if I have time. That used to be the second love of my life.

6. Spend more time with my mom.
I like to take her for a short holiday. Invite her out for dinners more often. Visit her with the boys more.

7. Cook and bake new recipes.
My cooking class will be useful for this. Maybe I will take a short advanced course on baking. I plan to try a new recipe every week. 

8. Read more books.
I used to read everyday before N was born. I probably read only about 12 books in the last 2 years. 

I am currently reading 2 books - Raising Gifted Kids by Barbara Klein and Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber, Elaine Mazlish. I have also just started reading The Genius Factory by David Plotz yesterday.

9. Run a race.
This is one thing I couldn't do last year for health reasons. I missed the race that I was working towards. Not going to miss it this year. I still want to run a marathon one day. 

10. Fundraise for charity.
I used to fundraise millions for charity. This year, I want to use my fundraising experience to do something for local charities, however small it is. 


I am happy enough to achieve some, if not all. After all, life is about living and loving the journey. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Number 2 is so sweet xxxxXH

Anonymous said...

Hello, I have been a silent follower and HUGE fan of your blog. You are such an inspiration!

Thank you for writing this wonderful blog. You have greatly inspired me and my close friends with all the stuff you do with your kids, and how you still manage to have time to cook daily, exercise and have a social life! It gives us hope that it is all achieveable. Many of us have just one child the same age as Nicholas. And we find just looking after one kid to be very tough already.

Your post today is yet another great example of how to be organised and achieve what we want. I shall set some personal goals too.

Lastly, I just want to say, keep up with the wonderful job you are doing with the homeschooling! You are truly amazing!!! Your kids will surely appreciate having a super mum like you.

God Bless!

Regards
Linda

Ivana said...

Hi,that's a great list and brave to post up seeing your readers will probably ask you about it once in a while ; p

I'm off to make my list now.

DG said...

Linda, thanks for your encouraging comments. :) It makes my day to know that my blog and writing inspires others, even if it is only in a small way.

Ivana, on hindsight, you are RIGHT! It just means that I gotta be even more diligent and disciplined to achieve what I set out to. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Yup, I agree with the above comments! Your blog/life is so inspiring! I'm still schooling and am nowhere near parenthood/marriage but seeing the things you're able to achieve with your children and how much you can do everyday somehow spurs others on that it's possible to live a fulfilling life(:

Keep up the awesome work and looking forward to reading more of your posts!(:

DG said...

Hi Anonymous, thank you! I am deeply flattered by what you wrote. :) I never know that my blog would be interesting to those who aren't married/parents. Your comments make me smile. :)

I always believe that when there is a will, there is a way. So I do aim to lead a balanced and fulfilling life, and I try my best to achieve it. I am happy that through this blog, I can also share my enthusiasm about life and make a positive difference.

You are welcome to drop by often.

Anonymous said...

Hey gorgeous! What a lovely blog you have here. And what a beautiful attitude towards life. :) I am so inspired by you!

Love,
O from Auckland

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...