Thursday, January 22, 2009

Our Menus At A Glance

I don't have the habit of planning a weekly menu. The most I would go is to plan what I would cook for 2 lunches and 2 dinners. 

I like to be spontaneous when it comes to doing outdoor activities with the kids. Pre-planning a weekly menu means I also need to plan our day activities for a week accordingly to allow for sufficient cooking time.

So often, I may just head out with the kids to the parks whenever we feel like it. Or plan activities for post dinner. On such days, the dinner menu depends on the ingredients available in my fridge/freezer/pantry and the time I have to cook. That's the advantage of a well-stocked pantry and freezer! 

Of course, if I want to cook something fancier that requires longer preparation/cooking time, then I do plan the day's routine around it.

Here's a snapshot of our two weeks' meals. All homemade and freshly cooked. I rarely cook on weekends these days as I am not home during lunchtime and in evenings, we usually dine out.


Last Week's Menu: 

Mon: 
L: Egg noodles with vegetables and tofu
D: Roast chicken with new potatoes and steamed peas
Also baked 12 banana and almond (flakes) muffins

Tue:
L: Panfried seabass served with wild rice and steamed broccoli/carrots
D: Macaroni cheese 

Wed:
L: Onigri, meatballs and stir-fried vegetables
Also made a bento for Marcus (see Bento #30)
D: Baked salmon with dill sauce and papardelle

Thur:
L: Pan-fried chicken served with steamed corn and mashed sweet potato
D: Vegetable (broccoli/cauliflower) stir-fry, oriental pork dish served with brown rice

Fri: 
L: Chinese soup (loaded with veg and pork bone) with wild rice
D: Braised sesame chicken with stir-fried cabbage and rice (only for the boys)


This Week's Menu:

Mon: 
L: Tuna cheese sandwich with whole wheat bread, fruits and yogurt
D: Pan-fried ribeye steak with shallot-red wine sauce, served with oven chips (for adults)
Baked salmon with mashed sweet potato (for kids)

Tue: 
L: Braised pork, stir-fried veg with brown rice
D: --- dine out ---

Wed: 
L: Oriental style minced beef served with garlicky broccoli and Jap rice. Also made a bento for Marcus (see Bento #31).
D: Chicken stew

Thur: 
L: Beef lasagna
D: Four cheeses pasta by E (I was out)

Fri: 
L: Kailan chinese style, sweet and sour pork with brown rice
D: ----- dine out -----

2 comments:

3lilangels said...

Wow. Such gourmet meals. Lucky kids!

DG said...

Not exactly gourmet meals. Just simple stuff really. I do wish i have more time to whip up fancy stuff on weekends though. One sure way to my hubby's heart is through his stomach! :>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...