Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Homeschooling Theme: Blueberries For Sal (Part 1)


Blueberries for Sal (1948) is a children's picture book by Caldecott Medal-winning author Robert McCloskey.




The first time I read this to the boys, Chipsy listened intently for about 28 pages before deciding he had enough. I was pleasantly surprised by his interest, considering that the illustrations are in monotone and it is rather wordy on some pages. 



M, on the other hand, was totally smitten. That, I had sort of expected. He was so attentive when I read all of the 55 pages. It was obvious that he finds the illustrations and story fascinating as he examined details on each page thoughtfully. 

Ever since, I have read the book quite frequently to them and M has also been reading it on his own. He told me this is one of his favourite books.

As part of our homeschooling activities, I have selected some areas to focus on with the boys using this book as the overall theme. Over the coming weeks, I will share more of our progress.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...