Monday, December 1, 2008

Too polite


For a long time, he just ignored most greetings from people we bumped into when we were out and about. They could be relatives, friends, neighbours, teachers or strangers. These people would say 'hi' or 'bye' or 'how are you, M?' and he just looked straight in their eyes and quietly looked away or just ignored them. 

After months of telling him that it is polite to answer these greetings and what politeness means and why it is a good thing to be polite etc etc.. he finally got it. These days, he reciprocates and replies warmly. 

Last weekend on a taxi ride with me, I said goodbye to the taxi driver as I got out of the cab and usually he would follow suit. He got up from his seat and said 'goodbye uncle, thank you' and leaned over planning to plant a kiss on the balding head of the driver who was counting his change! I was horrified. Let out a gasp, reached over quickly to place my hand on his chin and pull him away just before his lips touched the scalp! Yikes!!! 

He exhibited some surprise, perhaps didn't quite understand why I would object to such a warm gesture when for months, I have been teaching him that it is polite to thank and say goodbye to the taxi drivers. I had to explain more later the inappropriateness of his intended gesture but I thought I caught a glimpse of hurt or sadness on his face for a brief moment. When I presented to him the possibility that the uncle may not have washed his hair for months, he looked so disgusted. Hahaha! 

3 comments:

3lilangels said...

Too polite is also a problem.... hehe.... Good thing you caught him in time.

Anonymous said...

hahaha, tat was too friendly.

my G has always greeted strangers in e lift n sometimes my neighbours responded wif a smile or a greeting. there was once an uncle didnt n G retorted, right in front of him, "mum, y is he so rude?" *me embarassed*

cos i taught G tat it's rude 2 not respond when someone gives a greeting. yikes!

DG said...

Kelly, yes, I taught Marcus the same too.. as he used to just ignore any greetings. But kids are so innocent and I have been caught in so many situations before when Marcus would say/ask something embarrassing that I am way past the 'being embarrassed' stage now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...