Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Few Days of Pure Leisure



Early this month, I mentioned to E that I would really love to go away on a holiday without the kids. I just feel like I need one to recharge. 

Since we have no one to leave the boys with, I can't go with E. So perhaps I could go with my sister. Or maybe girlfriends. Or just do it alone. 

My sister couldn't leave due to work commitments. All the unmarried girlfriends can't make it either. The married ones are all with kids, so I didn't even consider asking them. 

I toyed with the idea of travelling solo. Hmm.. perhaps I can go to an idyllic beach and check myself in to a 5-star resort. Enjoy a few days of sheer luxury -  sleep on Egyptian cotton sheets without a wakeup call, feasts on buffets and cocktails by the pool, a daily massage and spa pampering. I could catch up on my reading, or just stroll by the beach and admire the sunsets. I could laze by the pool and sunbathe in my bikinis. And just doll up and look absolutely stunning! 

All sounds good, except for one big BUT! I know I will crave good conversations. 

I don't fancy striking conversations with strangers. I prefer more personal discussions and chats with people I like. What if I see something interesting and want to share with someone? There will be no one to talk to! I procrastinated. While my brain was still slowly processing the pros and cons of a solo trip, I mentioned that E could go on a holiday too, if he desires. 

Guess what? He thought about it for one second. Okay, maybe two. Checked with me again that I really don't mind him going and happily thanked me for being so sweet. The day after, he told me he had booked an air ticket to go visit Angkor Wat and will stay in a 5-star hotel! 

He has always wanted to go there. So I am happy for him that he gets to do it now. He left with his guitar, a book, and a fully charged camera. Three days have past and he will be back this afternoon. 

It may be a short trip, but I do think that it is a luxury to be away from the kids for a while and do whatever the heart fancies.  

In his text message last night, he said he is all ready to come home now. 

Though I can't leave for a vacation by year end, I'll probably still indulge in some spa pampering and spend a day on my own, just out and about. Without the kids. I dreamt last night that I was in Australia. Maybe that is a sign that I should revisit the land after 12 years. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is incredibly nice of you, S! I have never asked A whether he would want the same (he probably would!). There are so many places to go, especially without kids, book your ticket soon and indulge your wanderlust :)

Val

DG said...

I think it is a very nice gesture on my part too. :P
E had offered many times before that i can go somewhere, even to New york for 2 weeks if I want to visit my girlfriend. But I don't think I can be away for so long. I am really itching to return to Oz now.. some museums, shopping, street side cafes, people watching, beach etc... they all sound great! But first, i must convince myself that it is OK not to talk to anyone and save all conversations till I return! LOL!

Handydog said...

Yap... just do it :P I used to think I can go solo trip even if I have kids, guess I was wrong. Maybe another year or two when kids r older. I don't think my hubby can handle my girls for few days alone... at least for now. Plus, I will miss them too much and I need companion too :)

DG said...

hmm..maybe you and I can go together then. Somewhere nearer, so you don't have to leave your gals for too many days! :P

Anonymous said...

hmmm... i think u shld just go. look at E, the moment u chopped approval and off he went w/o much thinking i guess. tts the diff betw men and women.

Anonymous said...

hi
i agree wif e others tat it was very sweet of u 2 juz let E go off like tat.

u shld take off for a short break. i went for a short trip in Nov07, b4 i gave birth 2 Stella. I came back rejuvenated n all charged up 2 handle my kids.

u definitely deserve a break, after all ur efforts wif ur boys n e hsehold. go, girl!

DG said...

Thanks everyone for your moral support. I think E deserves a good break too, which is why I didn't mind him going off on his own.

I am planning a little trip of my own now. After psyching my up a little, I think I am ready to just wander off alone. Embrace the new experience with open mind and optimism! Think it will be fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...