Tuesday, November 18, 2008

On amusement and disappointment

When I walked Marcus to school this morning, he whispered something as we crossed the road. I asked him to repeat since I couldn't hear him with the noisy traffic. He did. And I was a little embarrassed, very amused and rather surprised when I heard it speak loudly.

"Mama, I said that woman is a big idiot because she crossed the road when the red man is still there".

He was referring to the traffic light. I realised later that he learnt it from papa. I checked his understanding of the word "idiot" and his reply was "She shouldn't cross the road. She should wait till the green man is out." Hmm.. He is right, but I just didn't feel comfortable that my 4yo is labeling people as "idiot", "fat", "ugly", "stupid" etc etc..

I remember two occasions when I referred to a neighbour as "big sized" and another stranger as a "big woman". To both instances, he promptly corrected me "Mama, you mean that fat man?" and "Oh that fat woman! She has such a big tummy!". Another time, he asked a colleague of E straight in his face "Uncle, why are you so fat?". His question was ignored.

Of course, these are innocent remarks from a young child who could mean no malice. E often retorts whenever I grumble to him about his choice of words in front of the kids, especially Marcus, that we should not hide the truth and facts that someone is fat or stupid. I agree to a certain extent but I still think it is rather disturbing to teach a child such labeling words. I need to think about this more...

On a lighter note... Chipsy told a boy who refused to leave a Thomas train ride "Come on! Come on! Move! My turn now." All the adults around were stunned for a moment before breaking into loud laughter. I was amused.

Now onto a different matter altogether which I have been pondering over for a while. I have never been secretive of my preference for a handful of quality friendships over a huge collection of insignificant acquaintances. Which explains why I prefer to stick only a few names on my Facebook and I rarely spend time entertaining acquaintances. Recently though, I felt let down by some people close to me and I realise the disappointment was the part that hurts the most.

Like this friend whom I became close to and depended heavily on during the period of my worst personal crisis. She was the first person whom I cried to and my pillar of strength for that brief but critical period. I just can't understand why she never contacted me once, after learning that I was going through a tough time. After these months of waiting, I decided to write this friendship off. She obviously didn't care enough to find out if I am well, so I shan't bother anymore.

Another supposedly rather new but close friend whom I intuitively warmed up and opened up to, has also recently disappointed and baffled me in many ways. I expect good friends to genuinely rejoice for me if I am singing about my happiness; when I talk about things that make me happy; be positive and supportive. So when I hear distasteful comments like "why are you so happy? Your problems are so big, shouldn't you be upset for a long time? Why are you talking happily about your kids, your cooking, making bentos?" etc etc.. I can't help but question the true motive of this person. When I was genuinely excited over bento-making, homeschooling my kids and happy about being able to handle my household and kids without a maid and my exercise plans to keep fit and healthy, the last I expect from a close friend are remarks like "So boring to be a supermum and super-wife with a perfect figure, always looking perfectly dressed and who can handle everything without help...I don't see the value of making kids' meals pretty...why waste time to do crafts or send them to enrichment classes? where are the imperfections? ... Oh, thank you for making me feel like a lousy mother who can't make bentos and didn't send my kids to any classes when they were small...and...I am just waiting for the day to come when you can't do everything yourself and announce you need a maid or at least a PT help". 

My jaw dropped. Honestly.

After nights of pondering, I concluded it all stems from jealousy and insecurity. I must have made her feel bad about herself. Perhaps it makes her look/feel less capable in comparison. It was never my intention when I shared happily about what I am doing with my life, my boys and what makes me happy. Like why I bother to bento and not just pack a jam sandwich for my son. Because it makes me happy! Like why I choose to handle all without a maid. Because it makes me happy! Damned. So if she doesn't like it that I am happy, it is time I stop wasting my time with her.

A close friend once said, a decade ago, that I am clairvoyant and intuitive. My experience over the years confirmed that judgement is accurate and I believe I am. It is a real shame that I have to be disappointed by these friends. But then again, c'est la vie....

19 comments:

M said...

My long 2 cents...

I think most mums do feel themselves constantly measuring up to other's efforts. U r really quite the supermum :) , managing everything like clockwork. It can be quite "intimidating" for lesser mortals, hehe.

That said, I think the other party needs to come to some sort of peace with her own mothering methods. My gfs and I have vastly different mothering styles- 2 of them are FTWM, 1 of whom dislikes going out with kid sans maid, whereas the other can't imagine passing off even toilet trips to a maid. Both of them not into enrichment classes or phonics or flashcards... the differences go on. Maybe because we have a prior history to bond over, we look beyond motherhood issues. We might occasionally quip to each other stuff like, "only you can be bothered to do that!" and roll our eyes at each other. But it's in good jest (or we're forgiving, haha).

To me, it's ok to never agree, but not ok to judge others. I had a friend whom I felt was quick to judge me on her own yardstick, I didn't need that so distanced myself. :)

Sidetrack: I've always wanted to ask you how to organise the kids' stuff eg. clothes, books, toys, craft materials, food bowls etc- do they access themselves or? What about own paperwork correspondence, we always have a mountain of stuff piling up on every surface. Your place was incredibly neat the 2 occasions I visited- and once even in scant notice cos I was with Girl and heavily pregnant.

M said...

And...
where do you have space for so many types of pasta in your pantry? There must be some organising trick you must share!

I've always preferred smaller footprint homes but with very efficient utilage. But I end up just trying to junk toys and toys and now Girl has some sort of complex- she complains I keep giving away her toys.

Oh, and how do you know the avocados are exactly right? I used to buy them unripe, wrap in newspaper and check daily... days I forget to check, the avocado rots, haiz. My kids won't eat unripe or rotten, must be just exactly. And not straight from the fruit, often blended with milk.

Anonymous said...

Hi DG,
Some people lust making other people feel unhappy due to their inferiority complex or superiority issues.(have encountered such individuals/groups too)
I too am using this festive seasons to weed out all the negative/unwanted friendships/associations.

I feel that you do have a very positive outlook on friendships and am glad to have you as my friend.

No one can take away your happiness.

DG said...

Mel, I agree. It is OK for friends to disagree, but not OK to judge, especially good friends who should be supportive and understanding.

On organising, truth be told, I am really not as tidy as I should be. My kids' clothes are in their own drawers so Marcus can access his own. Most books are on the lower part of a bookshelf in Marcus' room so boys have full access. But we do have a selection in my room which we read to Nicholas everynight and a few next to his cot so he can pick them whenever he is relaxing in bed.

Toys are mainly kept in Marcus' room and the rest in the living room. I wish we have a playroom, but it is impossible currently. Most stationery is in the study and Marcus has full access to most like papers, pens and crayons etc.. We place them out of reach for Nicholas though he can access the papers easily. Craft materials aren't in one place due to space constraints. Some on high study shelves, others in my room and some on my "workstation" which is the dining table, depending on what I am working on.

Everything related to food (including cutlery and crockery) is in the kitchen and they are inaccessible to kids as they aren't allowed into kitchen for safety reasons. We have a kitchen gate. My own paperwork correspondence is kept in some folders in the study, together with hubby's.

My pantry is tiny! Valerie saw it recently when she came over. :) No organising tricks, so stuffed all the pasta into one cabinet! But I don't take them out of their plastic wrappings and transfer into containers which is impractical for my small pantry. So I just end up with 15 or more bags of pasta and over 10 types of rice! I like a well-stocked pantry (all my ktichen cabinets are full) and since I cook daily, I do replenish very often and I keep a FIFO log mentally! Hmm.. I am a little anal there but I do have an elephant memory!

I always buy the large unripe green avocados from Cold Storage ($1.95 each) or NTUC that are still hard. I keep them next to my bananas, onions etc in the pantry unwrapped. Usually after 3-4 days, they ripen and turn dark brown. They feel slightly softer when you give them a gentle squeeze but you don't want them to be squishish which means they are over ripe. Once they turn dark brown and soft enough, I put them in the fruit compartment in my fridge if they aren't eaten straight away. They can last up to 1 week in the fridge. We always serve them ripe but raw, either on its own as snacks, with jacket potato, in salads or as guacamole. My boys alone eat 5-7 a week! A trick though I learn from experience - keep unripe avocados next to bananas to hasten riping process. Hope this helps! :)

DG said...

Hi rachel, thanks. The feeling is mutual. :)

Anonymous said...

There are fair weather friends who do well only when times are good. But I have also encountered friends who are terrific in times of crisis but shock and disappoint me when things start looking up. Like you say, it could be jealousy or insecurity. It's easier for some people to feel sorry for others (so that they can feel better about themselves) than it is to feel happy. Perhaps they have their own problems and it comes out all wrong and mean-spirited.

But hey, you are in a good place now and that is what matters :)

xx Val

Handydog said...

O...that's hurtful.

Yes, friends don't judge. If they can't appreciate who you are, well adios!

You are worthy of love and deserving of kindness, so don't lose heart.

Anonymous said...

Babe,

Firstly, friendships do come and go. Sad and hard but a true fact. I am speaking from personal experiences. What will never change, is your family. Treasure that. Also, friendships are like any relationships that require nuturing, attention, time and commitment. It is better to have a few close friends than many.

Next, if you are happy with what you are currently doing, your life etc, continue doing what makes you happy. Because ultimately, that is what truly matters. You cannot please everyone, and there will always be someone that will disagree. I have received comments that are spiteful and hurt too. But I have learnt to let it go and move on. Sometimes, sadly, people make unfair statements to cover up for their own insecurities.

Nothing wrong being a super mom :)

M said...

Ooo- thx for the detailed avocado tips, will give it another shot! My problem is I tend to forget all about them, so the tip on chucking back into the fridge once they are slightly brown is really helpful.

I constantly feel overwhelmed by the kids' toys and HB's books. Yet reluctant to get open shelves/ bookshelf/ workdesk. We have none of those, just toy cabinets and built-in wardrobes. The built-ins were original, extremely inefficient and rather weak.

Hmm, don't think I can fit 10 types of rice and 15 types of pasta in my pantry! I must google to find out why there's so many varieties of pasta, haha. My kids love them train/ plane pasta too, but the adults don't eat that too.

Where do you put the kids' bicycles?

Sorry for hijacking.

Anonymous said...

it is sad to lose a friend and it must be bothering u alot to cause u sleepless nights. Personally i feel that it will still bother me to know that I have to make a conscious effort to isolate from them.
I agree with your friend that the other party needs to come to peace with their own mothering methods and maybe on top of that, I will try not to 'share' so much of my mothering experience since it seems like they are not interested in hearing them.
Having a blog does help.
btw, thanks for your comment on my blog. I enjoy reading your view :)

DG said...

Hi Val, I came to the same conclusion recently that it is much easier for some people to feel sorry for others as it probably makes them feel better about themselves/their own lives/situations, than it is to be truly happy for others' happiness.

Which was probably why this friend of mine kept telling me to stop hiding my unhappiness behind all these talks about my kids, bentos and exercising and 'let's talk about your problems and all the unhappy things'. She just can't seem to understand and accept that I am really happy and not hiding behind these facets and that the problems are gone and I no longer feel the need to talk about unhappy stuff. Quite incredible that she insists the problems must still be there and 'everyone takes a long time to get out of real unhappy situations and be truly happy'.

And yes, I tell myself the same thing - I am glad the rainbows arrive and I am in a much better place. Stronger than before and I no need negativity around me. This is all that matters. :) And thanks for being one of those who were around for me. :) xxx

DG said...

hi handydog, thanks for the really sweet and kind words. I told myself the same too, that a true friend will be positive and supportive and I have no time for those who aren't.

:)

DG said...

Hi Andrea, thanks for the encouraging words. I have never been someone who wishes to please all, except the ones who truly matter. My hubby will know. :P
Some friends are keepers for life, but others stay briefly for a purpose. I was disappointed in this case because I for once, misjudged and thought this is a keeper. But I was wrong. Well, it is OK now. I just let it go.

Thanks for the affirmation too. :) I strive to be a supermum. It makes me feel good that I try my best with my kids.

DG said...

Mel, there are a lot more types of pasta. I love the varieties and different types taste better with different pasta sauces, so I stock as much as I can. :)

It's the same with rice. I buy small packs so I can stock 10 varieties. heehee..

We only have a little truck which we kept indoors and a tricycle outdoors.

DG said...

4malmal, you are welcome and thanks for dropping by. It didn't cause me sleepless nights, but some heartaches, yes. But I'm OK now... I got over it by the time I decided to blog about it as this friend and family read my blog. Well, isolating is easy for me. I certainly won't be wasting time sharing my life with her now. I usually don't unless it is someone close.

Anonymous said...

hi,
tat was very mean, esp coming fr a close frien. i can understand how u felt cos i was going thru something similar recently.

i agree wif andrea tat friens come & go.

nevertheless, i m happy 2 know tat u got over it n got rid of a frien.

another drinking session?

DG said...

Hi Kelly, thanks. I am not bugged by it anymore. :) Get-togethers are always welcomed. Just SMS me! Would be so nice to catch up more often.

Ivana said...

ouch....

I'm glad that you've gotten over it though. I think that the older we get, the smarter we become... I've weeded out a lot of the people who just take and take out of the relationship and never put back. At least you know now.

Keep up with your bento boxes and all, it always puts a smile on my face when I come to those posts. Makes me wish I could order one for my little girl.

DG said...

Thanks Ivana for the sweet encouragement! I do enjoy making the bentos a lot and sometimes wish that I have more reasons to do so, like if my boys eat lunch at school everyday! Haha!

Well, Marcus' sch term is ending soon, so I will probably make bentos only for our outings till sch reopens in Jan.

But yes, I won't let any negativity slows down my pace and will keep up with doings things I am passionate about. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...