Friday, November 28, 2008

Running high

I have been sleeping late. Very, very late. Almost every night for the past 2 to 3 weeks. A few girlfriends will know as I stayed up late to chat with them on Messenger. Mostly about the kids and stuff that we are doing or I want to find out about. 

I have been neglecting my dear hubby as he gets into bed hours before me. Hmm.. Bad. I have been depending on too much coffee to give me that extra boost in the day. I need a really strong cup in the morning. Actually, it's more like 2 big cups. And the craving comes again in the afternoon. Er...another 2 big cups. Oops. So it is a vicious cycle. I drink too much caffeine in the daytime as I am convinced that I need it badly. And it keeps me going till the wee hours when my boys are in dreamland and I wonder why I still can't sleep. Bad. 

But I am fueled by a new passion. Yes, I am crazy about the serious business of homeschooling. A few months ago, it was all about bento-ing and now this. I am still crazy about bento making and all the fun stuff about it, but I find myself not clicking on bento blogs as often as I used to. Mostly because I got bored by the poor standards of most bento blogs. I think a lot of people depend on the cute bento accessories instead of being truly creative. There are only so many times I can look at a cute bento box or food pick and go ga-ga over it. So now, my attention is captured somewhere else as I explore the blogging world in search of bloggers who are passionate of arts, crafts and homeschooling.  

The thought of homeschooling my kids was explored before but I decided against it for a few reasons. Though recently, the idea resurfaced, I doubt I will change our plans in the near term.
For now, I am enjoying the process very much. I do like that I am bursting with ideas and the adrenalin I feel is addictive. It is very typical for me as I get passionate on something. The workaholic in me is slaving away night after night, as I plan a very fluid weekly routine for my kids. The boys are loving it and the results are incredible, which then feeds my hunger for more. I can't deny the intrinsic rewards are immeasurable in the first place and being the kind of parent I am, it is easy to be real hooked to this current craze. Already I am mentally making some new year resolutions related to this. 

Another week to go and Marcus will start his school holiday. His art and piano lessons will end this week too which will leave us lots of free time to pursue other interests. I am looking forward to it though we will need a tweak to our routine. I can't wait to complete the few very interesting projects that I have started with Marcus and to begin work on the others that I have planned for him. 

For now, I am appreciative of the amazing improvement Marcus has made in the areas of art, general knowledge and Chinese. He can probably recognise close to 200 Chinese words now. And I can't be more pleased with little Nicholas who is really enthusiastic these days. My last count recently shows he can read close to 100 English words, in addition to all the other stuff that he is picking up fast in this short span of time.

This is especially encouraging for me and is also a key reason in my decision to reject the job offer I received recently. Instead of returning to work, I decide to stay home for another year at least.

But first thing first. I need to catch up on my sleep and spend more quality time with my hubby who is ever so supportive and encouraging. 

2 comments:

Ivana said...

Wow... So you've started homeschooling your boys... how old are they now? They must be quite disciplined. I was inspired by what you've been doing and tried to do an art project with B who is 2yrs old. Sticking stuff on cards to send out for Christmas. It lasted all of 5mins and well, the unfinished cards are still on my table! = p

DG said...

My boys are 2 and 4. I am sure if you perservere, B will be more enthusiastic real soon. Do check in often as I do plenty of crafts with my boys. I usually get close to complete participation from them and if not, I just take a break from it and bring out the unfinished work for them to resume another time when they are more receptive.

I do believe the process is more important than the final product. Have fun with little B! ^.^

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...