Monday, November 24, 2008

Freakish Incident!

At about 230am this morning, I was awaken in shock, though I still can't be sure if I was awaken by E's screaming in horror or if I heard the loud smashing.

All I remembered was I sat up in bed and E squeezed my arm and I think I asked 'what happened'. He pointed at the mess on the floor and said 'the light smashed'. The big glass ball that used to be dangling from the ceiling, right above my bed was gone! All I could see was the 3 lightbulbs and a bloody mess of broken glass everywhere on the floor.

It took E an hour to clean up all the big and minute pieces of broken glass all over the room. Some tiny fragments could be found on my duvet, bed sheet and a few in Chipsy' cot.



We were really shocked and traumatised by what had happened. It is totally freakish that it could just drop and smash into pieces, when it has been hanging there for 3 years. It was always very difficult to take the light fitting off whenever E needed to change lightbulb, so we just couldn't explain how it could happen in the middle of the night when the windows were shut and there was no possibility of anyone touching it. Besides it was hung so high that we could not have reached it without a ladder!

What really freaked us out is the possibility that it could have smashed onto Chipsy's head and kill or seriously maim him if his cot was placed at the end of my bed, like it is sometimes when he wanted to be patted in the middle of the night. That damned glass light fitting would have smashed right onto his head. From that height and weighed about 2kg, it would have been a real tragedy.

I can't help but think there was a guardian angel watching us last night.

7 comments:

Handydog said...

O dear! Glad that both of you are ok. It must be horrifying to experience that, good that your kids dont sleep in the room with you.

Ivana said...

Thank goodness everyone was alright! What a terrible scare!

M said...

Yikes, thank goodness no one hurt!

Incidentally, my geomancer had asked me to move my light points such that not directly above my bed, and no "sharp pointy light fixtures" (I initially wanted a chandelier in bedrm). Also no ceiling fans above beds/ sofas (restful areas). I think quite practical reasoning for these points.

Although, given current workmanship standards, such things should NOT fall, yikes!

Do you need my handyman contact to replace the light fixture? You could buy a new fixture (the plastic origami types are pretty and light?), and get him to install.

M said...

Previously when the kids were bedding in same room as us, tilams were put next to our mattress... so they would be directly under my small glass light lightings. I understand how u feel, so scary!

DG said...

handydog, actually Nicholas is sleeping in our room but in his own cot. Some nights, E moved his cot to the end of our bed to pat him if he wakes in middle of night. Luckily we didn't last night or he would have been directly under the light fixture.

Ivana, it was a terrible scare. I still feel the chill whenever I walk into my room.

Mel, yeah, I have heard of similar stuff before and really it makes not to put the lights/fans above beds and sofas. Except in our bedroom, there is no other place really since the room isn't that big plus we are restricted somehow by the shape of room.

We are going to change the light fixtures, including the glass ones in our living and dining room this weekend. Thanks for offering. Will check with hubby and let you know if we need the contact.

Handydog said...

Did Nicholas woke up from it? Must be scary for him too. Glad that he is ok. Ya we avoid having hanging lightings or fan, my hubby hit one down (being so tall) and we decide to have only wall lightings.

DG said...

handydog, actually N didn't wake from the smashing sound, but when we switched on the room light to clean up, he did from the bright lights. He wasn't scared at all, but more like intrigued by the broken pieces. He just kept saying 'moon light crashed, moon light gone!' haha

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...