Monday, September 8, 2008

Heavenly Rich Lemon Risotto

Ingredients:

200g risotto rice
800ml chicken stock (I used stock cube this time)
juice and zest from half a lemon
half onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
50g unsalted butter
4 tablespoons (60ml) double cream 
1 egg yolk
60g grated cheddar cheese

To prepare: 
1. Saute finely chopped onion with olive oil and half the butter till the onion is mushy. 
2. Add the risotto rice and coat it with the onion mixture.
3. In separate pan, bring the stock to simmering point and let it simmer. 
4. Add a ladleful of stock to the risotto and stir till the stock is completely absorbed, before adding another ladleful. Keep topping up with stock and stirring till the risotto is al dente. Takes about 20-25 min. Stir in the lemon zest just before the risotto is ready.  
5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolk into the lemon juice and stir in the double cream and grated cheddar. 
6. Once the risotto is cooked, take it off heat and pour the eggy creamy mixture into the risotto and throw in the remaining butter and stir through. Add salt and pepper seasoning if desired and dive in!  :) 

Serves 2 moderately hungry adults as a main, or 4 pax as a side dish. I have it as a side to accompany my roast chicken.

This was my dinner earlier and I just couldn't stop smiling while I was eating. The kids had a huge portion of the chicken with steamed peas and potatoes. They would have loved the risotto, especially my 4yo but I didn't offer it to him since I already made the potatoes for them. Lucky me! 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...