Friday, May 9, 2008

To infinity and beyond!

"Mama, I don't need to walk. I can fly." 

"I am not a boy! I am a space ranger. I am a toy!"  

"My name is not Marcus. I am Buzz Lightyear!" 

"I am not your baby boy! I am a big space ranger! I am big and I can fly!"


Ever since my boys started watching Toy Story and its sequel about 2 months ago, Marcus has become increasingly fascinated by one of the lead characters - Buzz Lightyear. He calls himself that now and would correct us enthusiastically when we incorrectly called him Marcus, little boy or any other pet names. And he is not "Bus Lighthouse" as grandma forgetfully calls him.. but Buzz Lightyear!  And he would tell her "Grandma, not bus! But Buzzzzz! tsk tsk tsk!"

Took the boys to Botanic yesterday afternoon and we had lots of fun chasing each other on the grass. I threw a tiny stone and both boys competed with me to pick it up and the winner got to throw it next. They participated with such passion and joy that it was simply so heartwarming to watch. My aircon babies were so drenched with perspiration after just half hour outdoors that they looked like they had a swim in the pond. 

We spent the last hour or so looking around for an imaginary tiger which I made up to motivate Marcus to head towards the taxi stand with me. Told him that there may be a tiger around and he decided that he has to go save the taxi driver from the tiger since he is the space ranger. So he chose some twigs and announced his strategy of poking the tiger's eyes and teeth with the twigs when they meet and how he will throw the tiger around till it dies. Honestly, I am still amazed by his choice of words, like 'dies'. I can't help but wonder why he would want to kill something. 

When I offered to help him fight the tiger, he said "No mama, you can't help me. You are a girl!" Again, he surprised me with his sexism. At this young age! Hmmph.. what makes him think that a girl can't do something that only a boy can. 

So intriguing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So..."what does a Space Ranger actually do?" Haha, we have yet to come up with a satisfactory answer to that! Marcus is such a serious little space ranger, what a darling!

Val

DG said...

According to my Buzz Lightyear, the space ranger flies to space and kills aliens and monsters. Oh oh!! And Buzz saves Woody from the nasty man. Haha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...