Thursday, September 20, 2007

A rare reunion




A chance meeting at my yoga place led to a gathering of lost friends. Correction - I was the lost one as the rest still kept in touch over the years. I was the one who haven't seen them since we left school 16 years ago. Gee..that does sound like a long time, but it sure felt like an eon has passed.

The brief catching up was highly enjoyable as I burnt some grey matters trying to recall all the hilarious incidences the ladies couldn't stop laughing about. I have no idea how much memories I have misplaced over the years until now. It sure was tempting to blame my pregnancies for the poor memory, but truth be told, it probably was some kind of a defense mechanism to block out the past. Like how I don't remember most unhappy experiences in my past 30 years and yet I can recall vividly the most beautiful memories that I still cherish today.

It's not that my Secondary school days were anythng less than happy ones, but I won't rate those years amongst my most experiential periods of my life. Perhaps that explains why my current memories of those 4 years is mostly a blank to me. Most of what I could remember was how much time I spent playing netball (which I naively claimed to be the love of my life then), the boys in school (and yet I forgot the name of my so-called first-ever school boyfriend) and rivalry with peers over all the silly "trophies". Real pity I feel, since that was a pretty long time for a short life.

I have never been good at keeping in touch with people once they are without a strong presence in my life. It is not about social skills, or the lack of it. Rather, it has to do with a personal choice of wanting quality over quantity. Or so I remind myself every year when I receive only a handful of pressies for my birthday. :) As I mature, I become even more selective, given the intense competition available for my limited 24 hours. I make fewer good friends. Perhaps none in the last decade. However, the really good ones shall stay good forever and they know who they are. Hmm... maybe it is time to expand the social circle.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...