Friday, April 1, 2011

Reading Routine

We used to read 10 to 15 English books at each sitting to M when he was little. On most days, there would also be reading sessions several times a day. That was when the books read were mostly thin with relatively few words and when he was the centre of my world.

Then as the books got thicker and wordier and we have two kids to read to, the number we read to each kid dwindled. On some nights last year, we ended up reading just one or two English books before bedtime to each child, though for most days, I tried to make up by reading more in the day. And this excludes the time I spent in the day working on our homeschooling activities for both languages, which also included a lot of books. 

Then I began to add more Chinese books to our reading routine at bedtime. Being the only one who can read Chinese, I will read Chinese books to one kid while E reads English stories to the other. Then we swop kids. So bedtime reading per night may take an hour per child with both adults "working" concurrently. 

Admittedly, this is hard work. Some nights, I do need to remind myself of the big picture to persevere with the reading routine. Especially during those periods when E is away on business trips and I have to read to both. 

With another kid on the way, it means we either read less to each kid next year, or we start bedtime reading for everyone even earlier than usual. 

It may seem a little early, but as I go about our daily routine, I have already been thinking of how to tweak it in a few months' time when Baby arrives. I am reluctant to sacrifice time spent with the boys on reading and home-learning AND my bonding with Baby must not be limited to just meeting his/her basic needs either. In my overly ambitious mind, I am *hoping* that I will not turn complacent and Baby will also get his/her 15 books per reading session, several times a day. Just like what I used to do with the boys. 

Anyway, here is a quick list of the books that my 4-year-old enjoys reading/being read to recently. Of course, he is also reading a whole bunch of the regular ones from our home library. But these stood out for sheer enjoyment factor. 








If your kid also loves pigs as much as my boy, I would highly recommend 'Ping Pong Pig' which is incredibly hilarious. 



8 comments:

Alice Law said...

My kids too enjoy being reading too, but shame to say, after the 2nd one popped out... quality time for book reading seems decreasing, sigh! Mayb it's juts an excuse for my laziness...:(

DG said...

Alice, it is understandable that amount of quality time per child decreases with more children in the household. It takes more than self-discipline on parents' part to maintain status quo. Definitely a lot more sacrifice of time spent in other areas are called for. I can totally understand!

Joanie said...

Totally agree on reduction of time with more kids. Juz curious how u manage to cook n plan n execute all the homeschooling.

k said...

My hubby doesn't read to the kids, only very occasionally when the kids pester him to when I'm bathing etc. I'm the story teller in the family. even when he's read a book to them already, they will ask me to read it to them again, saying i tell it much better. haha.

so, i cannot find a way to read seperately to the kids. every night, they get to read the same books. some too cheem for the young one, some too simple and the boring for the older. how do you seperate the sessions when your hubby cannot help out?

but the older one totally loves bossing didi around and trying to teach him. so she enjoys the simpler books when i let her be the teacher. hah.

Dominique said...

I read the books this way..
If we choose an easier book. I read a page, R1 and R2 reads a page too while R3 listens. If the book is harder in reading ability R1 and I alternately read the pages of the book.. this is for both English and Chinese books...so all 3 kids get read to or read along at the same time as R is constantly away on business trips too.

DG said...

Joanie, it's all time management. I plan so that I can multi-task, but unlike some people who have time-tables or strict schedules to follow, I just set up a routine for myself that takes into account everyone's schedule and use it only as a guide.And I note my goals to achieve with the kids in a certain period.

DG said...

K, occasionally I read to both boys at the same time because they are both interested in the same stories or if I want them to join in the discussions. Usually, the books would be at a level that is marginally more difficult than what my younger can handle but yet not so simple that my older would be bored with. But if I can, I may still read a few more separately to them afterwards.

When my hubby is away and I have to read to both, I just get them to pick their stack of books and I will read to one first, while the other entertains himself. So I may find myself reading for a straight two hours on such nights.

Once in a while, I do get my older boy to read to his brother. But usually he would read only one book and I will still read the rest after.

DG said...

Thanks Rach for sharing. I can imagine doing that next time if I'm really pressed for time. Usually, I alternate with just one child, as I prefer to read books that are more challenging than their current levels.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...