Thursday, April 28, 2011

Baby #3: OSCAR at Week 13

For my previous pregnancies, I just waited till the pregnancy week 20 to have the Fetal Anatomy scan. 

But this time round, I was informed by my OB of the OSCAR test when I saw him at the end of my pregnancy week 11. This is a combination test offered in the first trimester to screen for risk of fetal anomalies, in particular Down Syndrome (Trisomy 21). Not everyone needs to go through this. I was offered because I'm past 35.

It makes sense to detect anomalies earlier in the pregnancy. If the results turn out to be negative, pregnant mums in the high risk group can avoid the invasive amniocentesis which is usually carried out between Week 15 and 20. Should one be given the positive results from the OSCAR test, which boasts an accuracy rate between 90 and 93%, with a 3 to 5% false positive rate, one has the option to go through the diagnostic amniocentesis while still in the first trimester. 

We had about 3 days to make the decision of whether to take up the OSCAR test, which was kind of rushed and stressful for me. I couldn't sleep well that period and couldn't decide what to do. 

I should only undergo the test if we decide to take actions (i.e. terminate the pregnancy) should the OSCAR and subsequent amniocentesis provide us with unfortunate results. E and I discussed. As always, I was amazed at how logical he can be. I was a lot more affected by emotions. We decided. My appointment was made for a few days later. 

That day, I went alone though E offered to accompany me. I figured I could handle it myself and didn't really need him to be there. It would be just a simple scan and blood test. 

In the end, the scan took the whole morning because baby wasn't lying the right position. I went in and out of the ultrasound room for at least 6 times. By the 5th time, just as I was lying there watching the screen and the radiographer was trying her best to jiggle my tummy to wake up baby who was sound asleep, an overwhelming feeling swept over me. It took me a few seconds to understand what that was. I knew then that even if the scan result turned out to be positive, I will want to keep the baby. At that instant, I thought of my friend who has a child with Down Syndrome. I felt an amazing inner strength which reinforced my conviction of what I really wanted from this pregnancy. 

By the 6th or maybe 7th time to the ultrasound room, the radiographer finally got what she needed. I was sent home and told to wait till the following morning for a call from the OB's clinic. The wait was truly agonizing. 

The whole afternoon, I was tense and super edgy. When I looked at my boys, I felt a huge pang of guilt too. There were so many what-ifs that went through my mind. Strangely, I didn't feel calm or at peace at all, though I knew what I wanted. I guess, at the end of the day, I was still hoping that there would only be good news. 

At 4.30pm, I took a call from the clinic. The nurse's voice over the other end of the line was so high-pitched and a little overly excited. She told me 'Mummy, Dr has seen the results. Very good. Very good.' 

No words could describe my relief. I was sure my smile of relief and happiness hung on my face long after I ended the call. 

I was also very appreciative that my OB was efficient enough to look through the scan results in the same afternoon and informed me so soon. 

With this episode over, I slept like a baby that night.



5 comments:

Karmeleon said...

Sounds like quite an ordeal you had there?

For the last pregnancy, I didn't do a single test except for the required blood test near the end of my pregnancy (for hospital records). Not even an ultrasound scan. Requested Doc to use fetalscope for heartbeat. Why? bc I couldn't be bothered to know of possible "anormalies" if any, or gender, or anything.

And yeah, I was already in my 40s.

DG said...

I won't call it an ordeal, though it was rather stressful.

I've read of women who skipped all scans and anomaly tests because they would keep the baby regardless anyway. A few mums I knew did that because they were trying to save money.

For all my pregnancies, I did almost all the monthly scans and recommended tests faithfully though I did postpone a few appointments. While I am not that bothered to know the gender, I do want to be updated of my baby's progress and to be informed of options if/when I need to make major decisions.

Karmeleon said...

Yeah, I didn't want to make any decisions, major or minor. The doc did ask that if scans showed that baby had for example weak respiratory system, at least they can standby a pediatric team at birth instead of wondering why baby born blue and die. Aiyoh, that too was fine by me instead of going to that extent of trouble.

I was more concerned with trying to get sleep bc I couldn't sleep for 5 nights out of every week from the moment I got pregnant with that baby, with nausea for 9mths. Not a good way to start off with a newborn, I'd say.

DG said...

Gosh! Yours would be considered an ordeal, to be sleep deprived and nauseous for 9 months. That must be so tough. I know I'm lucky that mine is really easy so far.

Jane said...

Hi, I chanced upon your blog :)

I'm 40 and expecting my first baby. Still havent passed 1st trime. Yes, I'm so anxious to hop onto 2nd trime!

I enjoy reading your posts on your pregnancies... I'm still undecided to go through all these tests or not. I'm seeing gynae tomorrow for my 3rd ultrasound scan. I'll see.....

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...