Sunday, March 27, 2011

Portrait


Drawn by one of my nieces.

At her 6th birthday party last month, she drew my boys and presented it to me as a present. What a sweetie! 

I love how she had also included a little Piglet because N is always seen with his Piggy. :> 

Like most kids, she is so full of potential. Unfortunately, there is a lack of opportunities for her because of her parents' own beliefs. Sometimes I would entertain the thought of taking her under my wing and nurture her as if she was my own. I can just imagine how she would thrive. Then again, it can be an uphill task if my efforts get undone in her home environment, which has a crucial role to play in her ultimate development and progress. And how much would be appreciated at the end of the day? 



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Invite your nieces to join your lapbook classes. I'm sure they will love it!

DG said...

Hmm.. I did. But the parents must still be hard working enough to bring them along weekly too. Rain or shine. And not as and when they feel like to.

Li-ling said...

ooohhh...i know just what you mean about this. At the end of the day, I think it has to be acceptance that you can do just what you can do, and if you have the time or inclination to help/work with her, do it, but don't over analyse the situation (e.g. it might get undone) Kids remember so much more and are capable of so much more than we give them credit for.
From the sounds of it, I'm sure she would be appreciative and grateful for any attention or direction you might give her.

DG said...

Actually it is not the child who is not appreciative. She loves the attention I give her, but since she isn't my child, I can't just walk into her home and provide whatever coaching/guidance etc.. Take reading for instance, I can read with her whenever she comes visiting which is rare, or when I see her, but despite giving her family tons of books and access to my classes etc, my efforts aren't appreciated. The books are left untouched and she was taken to classes only when the parents feel like to. Perhaps because these are gifts (i.e. free), so they don't feel the pinch.

I've sort of come to accept that for now, there is a limit to how much I can do. When she is older and if she seeks my help/attention voluntarily, then I'm free to do as much as possible.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...